I love soup. I love Italian food. Combine the two and I’m sold!
- Lasagna Soup
- Olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz (half a package) small pasta or broken lasagna noodles
- Cheese Topping
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Heat a stock pot over med-high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Heat for a minute then add the onion and saute until soft. Add garlic and crumble in the ground beef, cooking until no longer pink. Drain.
- Return meat to the pot and add tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and stir until well incorporated. Cook for about five minutes.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaves and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add uncooked pasta and cook to al dente. Do not overcook or let the soup simmer at this point as the pasta will get mushy.
- As the pasta is cooking prepare the cheese topping. Mix all ingredients, except mozzarella, together and set aside.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, add a dollop of cheese topping and sprinkle mozzarella on top.
If you enjoyed this recipe, try my other delicious soup recipes: