Crispy Marshmallow Treats get a glorious makeover with salted caramel and rich dark chocolate. Everyone will be begging for the recipe for this sweet treat!
I’m a sucker for a classic, and it doesn’t get more classic than Rice Krispie Treats. They are an icon, a symbol of childhood and a treat that’s hard to put down. I was brainstorming ways to amp up these delightful little squares of happiness and I already knew that adding caramel was a good idea.
I also knew that dipping things in chocolate is never a bad thing, so why not bring those two things together in this recipe? Chocolate Covered Salted Caramel Crispy Treats for the win!
Since not everyone is a fan of chocolate (the horror!) I left some treats au natural. Some I just dipped the tops in the melted chocolate and some, well some got a full drench in the stuff. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, so the chocolate is pretty deep and rich. You could go with milk or even white if that suits your fancy. I think they would be fun with some holiday sprinkles, especially since they’d fit lot of different holidays (pink and white for Valentine’s, red and green for Christmas, or even orange and white for Halloween).
Whatever holiday you enjoy them for, you can’t go wrong with these Salted Caramel Treats! They make great food gifts, too. Just wrap in cellophane, add a cute tag and present!
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 cups mini marshmallows, divided (almost 2 10 ounce bags)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 11-ounce package caramels, unwrapped, or caramel bits
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups Semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Line a 13"x9" casserole dish with parchment paper or foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray and pour rice krispies cereal into the bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, 3 quart pot over medium heat. Add about 7 cups of marshmallows and the caramels. Stir often until completely melted and smooth; about 4-5 minutes. Stir in 1½ teaspoons of kosher salt. Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal in the large bowl and add the remaining marshmallows. With a silicone spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, stir well until coated.
- Press the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and press into an even layer.
- Cool completely (1-2 hours) before cutting into squares and dipping in chocolate (if desired).
- To make the dipping chocolate:
- Place the chocolate and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Carefully dip the squares into the chocolate to coat. Set back onto foil or parchment lined baking sheets to cool and harden.
For more delicious and easy holiday treats, try these: