This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is topped with a sweet lemon glaze and is a perfect compliment to a spring brunch or your morning coffee.
I love making quick bread recipes like this lemon poppy seed bread. They’re so easy to throw together and you can literally make it with any flavor variety. I think the most popular quick bread recipes are for banana and zucchini. You can even fancy those breads up, if you want! I’ve made a banana rum bread before as well as a chocolate chip banana bread. Don’t be afraid to get creative with it!
So this lemon poppy bread is sweet and tangy. You can taste the lemon flavor in the bread, but it’s mostly pretty sweet. All of the tart flavor comes from the lemon glaze that I drizzled on top. If the glaze a little too tart for you, add a little more powdered sugar. I would start with 1 tablespoon and go from there. Keep in mind the powdered sugar will thicken the glaze as you do add more. I would give it a try how I have the recipe written because you made find the glaze goes well with the bread.
The bread is incredibly moist from the vegetable oil and sour cream. You don’t have to worry about it drying up after it’s sliced; in fact I love to have it displayed all cut up. The yellow color with all of the poppy seeds makes for a gorgeous presentation. Plus, you don’t have to worry about anyone hacking on the bread leaving it smushed and all jacked up. I’m only speaking from experience.
See how pretty it is? I had some extra glaze after I took these photos. I may or may not have drizzled that extra glaze all over the slices. I tend to lean towards more is more, if you haven’t noticed.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 + ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T. poppy seeds
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper in the pan and let it hang over the two sides of the loaf pan. Set aside.
- Add in the vegetable oil and sugar. Mix with a hand mixer on medium until combined.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until the eggs are incorporated.
- Add in the sour cream and continue to mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the baking soda, baking powder and flour. Mix until incorporated.
- Add in the poppy seeds and stir until evenly distributed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place into the oven and let bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs or clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, remove from the pan and peel away the parchment paper. Set on a serving plate.
- In a small dish, add in the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until the glaze is smooth.
- Using a spoon. drizzle it back and forth on the top of the bread. Some will run down the sides.
For more delicious Quick Bread recipes, try these
And if more Lemon is your thing, try these: