Probably my favorite comfort food of all time is Macaroni and Cheese. I remember being six or seven years old and spending the night at my grandma’s house, and every time she would pull the Stoffer’s Mac N Cheese out of the freezer and that’s what we ate. To this day that taste still reminds me of her.
Well now that I’m all grown up, my tastes have expanded, and I love to really dress up my mac and cheese. This recipe is great because you can easily adjust the amounts of milk/cream to make it healthier, or even use no cream at all (but why would you want to do that?). You can also experiment with different types of cheese. I made this one with Cheddar, Jack and Gouda (my new favorite!). Enjoy!
One Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups dry pasta macaroni, penne, any small pasta will do)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese ( I used Cheddar, Gouda and Jack)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1. Add milk, cream, salt, dry mustard, pasta and butter into a medium sized pan.
- 2. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Once at a simmer, turn heat down to low.
- 3. Cook and stir frequently for about 20 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add 1/4 more milk if pasta is not fully cooked.
- 4. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Cover and let stand for at least five minutes.
Check out my other one pot meals:
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes by clicking on these cute buttons below, and follow me on Facebook and Instagram. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there!