This lightened up version of the classic 7 Layer Dip is the perfect appetizer for game day parties. Made “skinny” with light cream cheese and fat-free greek yogurt, this dip will disappear quickly!
About 15 years ago, I was living in my own apartment and was hosting my very first Tupperware party. I had recently learned a new trick to making a super creamy salsa dip – combining it with cream cheese. My best friend was an attendee and brought her husband, who pretty much spent the entire party next to this incredible cream cheese and salsa dip.
After they got home, he made her call me for the recipe so he could make it again. Funny how the simplest things can make a person so happy. I later altered the recipe to add sour cream to make the dip smoother and easier to dip.
To make this delicious taco dip, I just expanded on the simple cream cheese dip I’ve been making for years. The base is light cream cheese (also called neufchatel), greek yogurt, salsa and taco seasoning…and you could seriously just stop there if you wanted to. But to make it even better, layer shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomato, olives, green onions and avocado. All of the toppings are optional depending on your personal preferences.
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sliced olives
- Combine softened cream cheese, greek yogurt, salsa and taco seasoning until smooth and well combined. Spread into a rectangle baking dish or pie plate (I used an 11"x7" baking pan) . Refrigerate for an hour to let flavors combine (optional). Top with remaining ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips.
For more delicious party favorites, try these: