There are few things better than a good Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce. Creamy, cheesy, spicy and poured over crunchy tortilla chips – it’s my favorite guilty pleasure!
Nachos have always been my all-time favorite guilty pleasure. Ball games, movies, you name it – nachos were my snack of choice. In fact, they still are!
Years ago, a friend and I were at a hockey game and we went to the snack bar for nachos. The cashier said it would be just a minute while they refilled the cheese. To our horror we watched them pour cheese sauce from a plastic bag into the nacho cheese dispenser. Stadium nachos would never be the same!
This homemade Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce is made with fresh cheddar cheese – no processed (orange box) cheese here. This is actually the same cheese sauce I use to make my homemade Macaroni and Cheese, just kicked up with some spicy jalapenos. First you make a roux with flour and butter, then add milk and whisk until it’s nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon. Once it’s nice and thick you can add the cheddar and a little cream cheese and stir it until it’s nice and smooth and creamy.
Finally you’ll stir in the canned, diced jalapenos. You can also stir in fresh if you prefer. I usually use about half of the can because that’s all the spice I can handle. But you can use as much as your tongue can handle. Then pour it on chips, or use it as a dip. The cheese sauce will thicken as it cools, making it hard to dip, so it’s best enjoyed hot or kept in a mini slow cooker, like this one. (affiliate link)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 4-ounce can diced jalapenos
- Salt (to taste)
- Tortilla chips, for dipping
- Melt butter in a 10" skillet or medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook until flour is lightly browned and fragrant; about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and bring to a gentle boil, whisking often, until thickened; about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stirring constantly until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in jalapenos. Taste, and add salt is desired.
- Serve hot with tortillas chips, tacos or pretzels.
For more delicious dips, try these: