Sweet homemade Teriyaki combined with lean ground turkey and veggies wrapped in crisp lettuce – a perfectly light meal for lunch or dinner.
I went on a kick last year, eating lettuce wraps for lunch nearly every day for a month. My kids even love them! You can stuff just about anything in them, and it gives you a little fiber and vitamin boost too. While I try not to make claims that anything I make is specifically “healthy” or “low cal” I do know that lettuce is a lot better for you than a flour tortilla or steamed rice!
One of my favorites I shared with you last week is my Chicken Club Lettuce Wraps. They are so good! But these Teriyaki Turkey Wraps may just be edging them out as our new favorite. I like to grate up some veggies and add them in too.
First cook the ground turkey with some sauteed onion and lots of garlic. About halfway through the cooking time, toss in some fresh grated carrot and finely chopped broccoli. You could totally leave these veggies chunkier, but if I want my kids to eat them I have to get them as small as possible, in the hopes that they won’t notice they’re actually eating vegetables!
*If you opt for larger vegetables, steam them separately and add them at the end when you add the sauce.
While the meat is cooking, make your Teriyaki Sauce. I like to make a homemade Teriyaki (it’s super easy!) but you could use a prepackaged sauce if you prefer. Stir the sauce into the ground turkey and let it simmer for about five minutes.
Spoon the meat right into your lettuce leaves, wrap, and enjoy!
- ½ cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 Large Lettuce Leaves (Romaine, Iceberg or Butter Lettuce work best)
- Mix soy sauce, ¼ cup water, red wine vinegar, sugars, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons warm water and cornstarch until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Heat sauce over medium high heat. Slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and cook until soft.
- Crumble ground turkey and garlic into the pan and cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add grated carrots and chopped broccoli about halfway through, when the turkey is still somewhat pink.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over cooked turkey and vegetable mixture. and stir. Simmer for about five minutes to combine the flavors.
- Spoon meat mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
For more lettuce wraps and salads, be sure to check these out:
For all Soups, Salads and Sides, go HERE.
For a complete list of recipes, go HERE.