Looking for an original Valentine’s day gift idea? Try this super sweet sugar cookie mix!
Hello yellow bliss road friends! It’s Kelley from the Grant life here again. I hope Christmas and New Years treated everyone well. We had a great holiday season and are just now starting to get back into our normal routine. It won’t last for long though because we will have to start gearing up for the next holiday – Valentine’s Day!
The stores have already started adding pink and red everything. My kids have started asking for conversation heart candies and I’m thinking about their upcoming class party.
I like to give unique gifts when it comes to the kids class parties. Both of my kiddos have small classes so I am able to get a little creative. If your child has a big class – then these Valentine’s sugar cookie jars may not be the best idea. They would, however, be perfect for teachers! So no matter the class size, grab some mason jars and sprinkles and let’s get started.
I think the best part of these jars is that you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. (I did!) Or if you don’t – they are fairly inexpensive to purchase AND can be use for other things. Flour, sugar, salt. I always add cream of tartar to my sugar cookies, it adds that little something extra. So I tossed that in the mix as well.
I layered the sugar, flour and then the salt, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda. Of course they are all white so it’s hard to tell! Good thing the sprinkles add a great pop of color. Add a little tag with baking instructions and you are all set. One perfectly unique Valentine’s gift done!
You can either make a little card (like I did!) with the baking instructions on the inside or print out the recipe below and add it to each jar. Easy peasy and I’m sure it will be a very loved Valentine’s day gift!
Valentine's sugar cookie mix
For the jar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup of sprinkles
To bake add
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Layer your mason jar in the following order (bottom to top) - sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and sprinkles on top.
- To make - Preheat the oven to 350.
- Empty everything except the sugar into a small bowl. Place the sugar and the softened stick of butter in a separate bowl or a stand mixer. (It's ok if you don't get all of the sugar or have some flour mixed in!)
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Pour the small bowl of remaining ingredients into the mixer and combine until smooth.
- Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove, place on a cookie sheet to cool and enjoy!
Makes ONE MASON JAR and yields 12 sugar cookies.
Like this recipe? Be sure to check out these other recipes from The Grant Life:
And these from Yellow Bliss Road: