Hearty oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, coconut and orange. The zucchini makes them incredibly moist and tender, and healthy enough to have for breakfast…well, almost.
My local grocery store had zucchini on sale the other day, and since it’s my all time favorite vegetable, I figured I’d stock up. I knew I wanted to bake something but wasn’t quite sure what. I came across this recipe and thought it sounded pretty amazing, and quite healthy, so I figured I’d give it a try.
WOW. These cookies are amazing. The coconut gives them a beautifully nutty flavor and the hint of orange gives a nice brightness. The zucchini has a lot of liquid but that keeps the cookies incredibly moist.
This recipe was adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Zest from one large orange (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in a towel and press to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and sugars until smooth. Stir in egg, vanilla and orange extracts, zucchini and orange zest.
- Gradually add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Stir in oats, coconut and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons (I like to use a cookie scoop) two inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12-12 minutes at 350 degrees until cookies are light golden brown.
- Cool cookies on a wire baking sheet.
For more delicious cookie recipes, be sure to try these:
For all desserts on the site, go HERE.
For a complete list of recipes, go HERE.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.