Hi there, Yellow Bliss Road readers! I’m Darcie, from Such the Spot. I’m so excited to be part of the creative team and pop in each month throughout 2015 to share some great recipes with you! Today, I’ve got a really yummy dinner idea. In my family, we eat a lot of Mexican food and when you eat as much of it as we do, all the quesadillas and enchiladas and tacos start to sort of run together. When my Mexican menus needed to be spiced up a bit, I came up with this fiesta-worthy take on quesadillas.
It’s a double decker quesadilla, made with corn tortillas. The bottom layer combines just a touch of subtle heat from pepper jack cheese with protein-packed black beans. The top layer is made up of creamy, sliced avocados and cheddar cheese. I could have stopped there but I went and topped the whole thing with diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, green onions and–wait for it–a fried egg. Oh yes I did. Of course, for the choosiest eaters, you can omit the avocados or green onions (but I recommend keeping every last tasty ingredient!).
This meal is perfect for busy nights when you’re running between ball fields and dance studios and your family has to eat in shifts. Just shelve the ingredients in the fridge until you need to make a second (or third!) batch.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Four eggs
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- Small bunch of cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or butter for frying
- In a small bowl, combine black beans with salsa verde. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle to 350º. Coat griddle with olive oil or butter. Place three corn tortillas on griddle and turn to coat with oil.
- On one tortilla, place 1/4 cup of pepper jack cheese. Top with 1/4 cups of bean/salsa mixture.
- On second tortilla, place 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and top with 1/2 an avocado, sliced. When cheese begins to melt, stack the third tortilla on top.
- Meanwhile, crack egg on the corner of the griddle and allow it to cook to desired doneness.
- When the pepper jack cheese is completely melted, stack the cheddar/avocado layer on top.
- Remove from heat and top with fried egg, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Believe me when I tell you that not only did my family lick clean their plates, but they asked for more. Considering the fact that these quesadillas come together in a matter of minutes, I was more than happy to oblige.
I hope you’ll try this recipe soon! If you do, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. I’m easy to reach; you can find me here:
And if you’re looking for more great recipes to try, you might like my
For more yummy Mexican ideas, try these:
For all main dish recipes, go HERE.
For a complete list of recipes, go HERE.
If ever you’ve found yourself entering the term “quick foodie-friendly meals” into Pinterest’s search box, you’re not alone. Darcie from Such the Spot is a busy mom who compromises lots of things to accommodate a fast-paced lifestyle, but food isn’t one of them. She is all about putting a tasty meal on the table in record time. Darcie is constantly looking for ways to deconstruct or twist a familiar favorite into a delicious new go-to menu item. Good food really can be fast(ish) and Darcie’s recipes seek to prove it.