Happy First day of May!! I can’t believe the time has flown by so fast and 2013 is already a third over. You may have noticed a lack of DIY projects around here, and that’s because I’ve been enjoying a little break from starting any big projects. I do have one on the horizon though, but more on that later!
In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying taking the time to bake and cook, which is why you’ve been seeing so many recipes lately. I love to cook, and to create or alter recipes – it brings me such joy to hear someone tell me that they loved something I cooked for them. Since the new name is all about following your heart, or your “bliss” I am doing just that. The projects will resume shortly. *wink*
Since it’s Cinco de Mayo this weekend, I thought it was the perfect time to share with you an easy Mexican appetizer or meal (at my house we eat this as a meal with a green or fruit salad on the side!).
The ingredients are simple, and it takes just minutes to throw together.
Shredded Beef and Black Bean Nachos
- 2-3 cups cooked and shredded beef*
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 bag tortilla chips
- 1 lime
- *For the shredded beef, I used leftover from a 2-ingredient Tri-Tip roast I had made in the crockpot earlier in the week. A pot roast would work beautifully for this.
- In a 12" skillet over medium heat, combine shredded beef, salsa and black beans. Cook until combined and warm throughout.
- Spread chips out on a large cookie sheet. Top with meat/bean/salsa mixture and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree over for 7-10 minutes.
- Squeeze lime juice over the top and garnish with green onions, sour cream, jalapenos, or any other favorite nacho topping!
- Plate up, serve hot, and enjoy!
Need a festive Mexican dessert to go with your nachos? Try my Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes! A perfect blend of rich chocolate and spicy cinnamon, topped with creamy Cool Whip Frosting.