This post brought to you by Pompeian. All opinions are 100% mine.
This spinach and watermelon salad with a tangy red wine vinaigrette and cotija cheese crumbles is a fresh and delicious way to keep cool this summer!
I love salads. Even better, I love salads with fruit. Remember several years back when salads with apple, or pears or grapes started becoming so popular? I definitely jumped on that bandwagon and haven’t left. My favorite fruit to add to a salad? Watermelon! I live to have a little crunch in my salad and watermelon adds the perfect bit of crunch and sweet without calorie laden croutons (which are kind of my vice).
I also love to make my own salad dressing. My favorite? Red Wine Vinaigrette! For this spinach and watermelon salad I used Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar and Pompeian Olive Oil seasoned with a little salt and pepper. And since it’s National Vinegar and National Salad Month, this salad is the perfect way to celebrate by Dressing It Up with Pompeian Vinegars and Oils.
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- 2 cups watermelon cut into one inch chunks
- 1/4 cup glazed or raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or feta
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup sweet onions sliced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the salad dressing by pouring the red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper into a sealable container.
- Seal tightly and shake until the dressing is well blended.
- Measure out two cups of spinach leaves, then roughly chop them on a cutting board. (Just run a sharp knife through the leaves a couple of times).
- Place spinach in a medium sized bowl.
- Add watermelon, onions and salad dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with walnuts and cheese, if desired.
For more delicious salad recipes, be sure to check these out: