I remember clearly the first time I visited an Islands restaurant as a teenager and it has since become a favorite spot for my high school friend and I to visit frequently. It’s one of those restaurants where I order the same thing every time I go – specifically the Teriyaki Chicken Tacos. After 20 years I finally decided it was time to attempt to recreate my favorite dish at home. These Teriyaki Turkey Tacos were the result.
I opted for a bottle of Lawry’s Teriyaki marinade for this particular recipe, but if you have a favorite Teriyaki sauce recipe you can use that, or use this great recipe that I found at Damn Delicious. The key is that you want a thicker sauce, a so it’s not too runny.
The first step is to cook the ground turkey. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and add some garlic for about 30 seconds before adding the turkey. I usually use my hands for this part, breaking it up as much as possible. Then while it’s cooking, constantly stir the meat to break up any large pieces.
Add the pineapple and teriyaki sauce and heat through.
Prepare the tortillas by warming in a skillet, or do what I do and use a pair of tongs to hold the as you char them on each side. I much prefer the direct flame method. The tortillas are still soft and slightly crispy and so delicious. All that’s left to do is build your tacos, and enjoy!
These tacos are so easy to make and are so incredibly delicious and if you opt for the bottle marinade they only take about 15 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce + 2 Tbsp for drizzling if desired
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits + 1/4 cup for garnish if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the tacos:
- 12 flour tortillas soft taco size or smaller
- Jack cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped lettuce
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and add the garlic. Saute garlic for 30 seconds and add the ground turkey. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat into small pieces.
- Remove from heat and drain meat. Return meat to the skillet and add 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce and 1 cup pineapple. Stir and heat through.
- Heat tortillas.
- Place a tortilla on a plate and add meat, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Fold tortilla in half and enjoy.
Is you enjoyed this recipe, your might also enjoy:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.