Mexican breakfast casserole
Spicy Mexican Breakfast Casserole is flavor-packed and perfect for the breakfast crowd at your next fiesta! Made with spicy sausage, eggs, cheese and bread.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 small onion diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 ounce package of spicy breakfast sausage Like Jimmy Dean hot
- 1/2 loaf of French bread day old works best!
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for topping
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute the onions with the butter until lightly browned. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink.
Tear or cut the bread into 1 inch chunks and place in the baking dish. Spread the sausage and onion mixture evenly on top of the bread.
Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and add the cheese, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Beat with a whisk to combine well. Pour evenly over the sausage.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the eggs are fully set.
Let cool slightly, then serve topped with cilantro, sour cream or salsa.
- A great make ahead recipe! Prepare the night before, cover and store in the fridge, and bake in the morning.
- Feel free to adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne pepper.
Calories: 376.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.17g | Protein: 20.1g | Fat: 25.35g | Saturated Fat: 10.21g | Cholesterol: 202.64mg | Sodium: 644.86mg | Potassium: 264.13mg | Fiber: 0.87g | Sugar: 1.46g | Vitamin A: 487.7IU | Vitamin C: 1.42mg | Calcium: 144.99mg | Iron: 2.5mg