One Pot Beef Stroganoff
One Pot Beef Stroganoff is a deliciously creamy and rich take on a classic Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe that's ready to eat in around 30 minutes!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion about 1/2 a medium sized onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 ounce can beef broth
- 10 ounce can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup milk (Use the cream soup can to measure - may be slightly more than 1 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups small uncooked pasta like rotini or penne (about half of a box))
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a 4-5 quart pot or deep 12" skillet. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they just start to become translucent.
Crumble ground beef into the pan and cook until no long pink; about 5-6 minutes. Soak up most of the grease from the pan with paper towels. Season meat with a little salt and pepper.
To the pot or skillet add beef broth, cream of mushroom soup + one can of nonfat milk, garlic and pasta.
Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
Sauce will be thin, but will thicken as it sits. To speed up the thickening, increase heat to medium-low and bring to a low boil for a few minutes, stirring often, until sauce is thickened to your liking.
Stir in sour cream, chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh minced parsley if desired.
To make your own cream soup from scratch:
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons or more chopped mushrooms and saute them until they are nice and soft.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour to the butter and mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes, stirring around to avoid burning.
- Add 1 1/2 - 2 cups of milk to the roux. Whisk together until completely combined, and let the mixture come to a simmer. As it simmers, it will thicken. If it seems too thick, add a little more milk.
- Add this entire mixture to the ground beef and dry pasta but DO NOT add the additional milk. Continue with step 4 of the original recipe.
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1024mg | Potassium: 787mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 2.2mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 3.9mg