Italian Chicken Soup
Italian Chicken Soup is simple, delicious and perfect for a fast dinner. Packed with 2 kinds of squash, tomatoes, beans and chicken in a flavorful broth.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 medium zucchini diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 yellow squash diced into one inch cubes
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15-ounce can Cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can corn drained and rinsed
- 6-8 cups low sodium chicken stock Add more or less depending on how brothy you want your soup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
Heat a large pot and melt butter and olive oil together. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook until just starting to soften, about 4 minutes.
Pour in tomatoes, beans, and corn. Add diced chicken, chicken broth and seasonings. Stir together and bring to a boil.
Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Divide into bowls and serve hot. Great on it's own, or served over small pasta (ie. macaroni or shells).
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 902mg | Potassium: 513mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 199IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg