3cupselbow macaronicooked to slightly before al dente (about 1/2 pound dry)
2cupsshredded medium cheddar cheese
1/2cupshredded Parmesanbest if it's fresh
1cupmilkat room temperature is best
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta in heavily salted water (like 3 tsp) to slightly under al dente. You're going to bake it and it will continue to cook a bit.
2. Melt butter over low heat. Turn heat to medium and add flour. Stir with a whisk for a few minutes, until well combined and bubbly.
3. Slowly whisk in milk and seasonings. Allow to come to a boil, while stirring occasionally. Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
5. Turn off heat and remove pan. Add shredded cheese and stir constantly until melted. (I literally hold the pan while standing in the middle of my kitchen while I'm stirring so it's nowhere near the stove!). This part is soooo important so you don't accidentally overcook your sauce. Test the flavor of the sauce and add more salt/pepper if needed.
6. Fold in cooked macaroni and pour into a 9"x 9" baking dish.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
8. While the macaroni is baking, prepare the crostini by slicing bread thinly. Lay flat on a baking sheet and brush each piece with olive oil.
9. When macaroni is finished, place crostini in the oven and either bake or broil (on low) for about 5-10 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the method you choose, so be sure to watch the bread closely.
10. Using a cookie scoop, place a scoop of macaroni onto each slice of bread. *tip - do not over-fill the scoop!).
11. At this point you can either serve immediately, or place back in the oven for a few minutes to really set the shape. Garnish with fresh shredded Parmesan, if desired.
Parmesan Mac and Cheese Crostini Appetizer https://www.yellowblissroad.com/mac-n-cheese-crostini-appetizer/