Broccoli Cheese Soup
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup is on the table in less than 30 minutes making it a great dinner for busy weeknights when you're craving serious comfort food.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots finely diced or shredded (about 1 cups)
- 1 small onion finely diced or shredded (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups broccoli chopped, finely chopped, some stems included
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups milk or cream I used half nonfat milk and half heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 ounces fresh sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about a cup and a half)
In a large 5 quart soup pot (dutch oven), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until softened; 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and broccoli and cook until broccoli turns bright green; about 1-2 minutes.
Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until broccoli is soft. Mash gently with a potato masher to break up vegetables. (This is an optional step, but if you want the soup really chunky you can skip it).
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add the flour and slowly whisk in about 1/4 cup of the soup liquid (skimmed from the pot, without vegetables). When completely smooth (add more liquid if needed) stir into the soup pot. Immediately stir/whisk in the cream/milk and stir until completely combined. Simmer (turn up the heat a little if needed) for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Continue to stir until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately. Garnish with additional shredded cheddar, if desired.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 348kcal