Easy Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
Refried Beans are one of the most popular Mexican side dishes, and my easy Refried Beans recipe is going to knock your socks off, because it's so simple and so delicious!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 45 mins
Total Time2 hrs 55 mins
Servings: 6 cups
- 1 lb bag of dry pinto beans
- 3 quarts of water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small onion chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and left whole
Rinse beans with water and discard any stones or bad beans.
Place beans in a large pot with 3 quarts of water and a generous pinch of salt.
Bring to a boil, them lower heat to simmer, covered, for approximately two and a half hours. The time will vary, but you will know they are ready when the beans are soft and beginning to break open.
Drain water from beans, discard the onions and garlic and place the beans back back into the pot.
Over low-medium heat, add a 1/4 cup of water and a generous pinch of salt, and mash beans with a potato masher. Slowly add milk and continue mashing until they are a rough puree.
Garnish with your favorite topping and serve. Makes an excellent protein packed lunch, snack or side dish!
- For non-dairy and vegetarian, use water in place of the milk.
- For added flavor, add a sliced onion and a few garlic cloves to the cooking water, then discard before mashing.
Serving: 1/2 cup | Calories: 101kcal