Crock Pot Roast
My Crock Pot Roast is the best you'll ever taste - a super tender, fall-apart slow cooker pot roast with incredible flavor that's cooked all day in the slow cooker. Served with a simple brown gravy, carrots and potatoes, it's a homey and delicious Sunday supper or weeknight dinner.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Servings: 6 people
- 2-3 pound chuck roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion cut into large pieces
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Fresh minced parsley
Rinse the roast and pat it dry. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme and rosemary and rub into the roast on all sides.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; about 3-4 minutes per side.
Place carrots, onion, garlic and potatoes into the slow cooker. Pour in beef broth, then set the browned chuck roast on top.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
Transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving dish. Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl then pour into the slow cooker. Whisk together to combine. Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes, just enough to thicken the gravy.
Serve meat and vegetables smothered in gravy, with minced parsley for garnish if desired.
To make a gravy without cornstarch:
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter (preferably unsalted) in a medium saucepan, then whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it's golden in color. Pour in the beef juices from the crockpot (strain them first so you'll have a smooth gravy) and whisk to combine. Bring the gravy to a simmer and let it bubble for about 5-7 minutes or until it's thickened. Taste the gravy before adding any seasonings.
- Please note the nutrition facts do not include this roux gravy.
Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1063mg | Potassium: 1457mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 12815IU | Vitamin C: 14.8mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 5mg