Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are decadently rich but surprisingly easy to make with my simple cake mix hack!
I love a good cake mix hack, don’t you? As far as I’m concerned, there is nothing better than working smarter, not harder! And doctoring up a cake mix and to achieve a super moist and flavorful cake is definitely smart and easier than making it from scratch.
So I took my favorite cake mix hack recipe and gave it a little love to make these fantastic Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. The chocolate and peppermint flavor combo is one that I cannot seem to get enough of! They go together so deliciously and feel especially festive around the holidays.
Now I know we’re still in November, and haven’t even made it to Thanksgiving yet, but these cupcakes are just too good not to share! I added hot cocoa into the cake mix to make it extra chocolate-y and delicious! Peppermint extract is an excellent way to add it bit of minty-goodness without overwhelming everything (a little goes a long way!) and Andes Baking Chips to add some nice texture. (aff)
Freshly whipped cream makes the perfect topping and fits so well with the theme (this is modeled after a comforting mug of hot chocolate after all!). I opted to top them with sugar sprinkles and festive paper straws but you could also go with mini marshmallows.
And not only do these taste fantastic, but they look super cute too! They’re the perfect dish to pass for your upcoming holiday parties and are also super kid-friendly! My oldest daughter was especially crazy about these (she is definitely her mother’s daughter when it comes to chocolate and mint!).
In her usual style, she made a point to eat all the whipped cream off the top and then proceeded to devour the cupcake and ask for seconds in a record amount of time. You friends and family will never know just how easy these were to make!
How to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes:
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 6 ounces of your favorite hot chocolate mix I used 6 1 ounce packets
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3/4 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 5 extra-large eggs I've used large and it still came out wonderful
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract divided
- 1 cup Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips aff
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Red and green sugar sprinkles
- Red and white paper straws cut into thirds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together cake mix, hot chocolate mix, water, oil, eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract until just combined.
- Fold in the peppermint baking chips.
- Fill the cupcake cups 3/4 of the way. (an ice cream scoop works great for this).
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- In a large, cold metal bowl and using an electric mixer, whip together heavy cream, powdered sugar and remaining peppermint extract until it forms fluffy, slightly stiff peaks.
- Pipe whipped cream onto the tops of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with red and green sugar sprinkles and place a straw into each cupcake at a diagonal angle.
One of my favorite cupcake recipes is:
I also love these cupcakes:
Here are a few more cupcake recipes to try:
- Coconut Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Toasted Coconut Whipped Cream