I am so excited to share this cheesy smoked sausage skillet recipe with you today! One pot meals are my favorite, and this one has just topped the list! Savory smoked sausage, creamy melted cheese, fragrant garlic, onions and tomatoes…all come together in a one skillet meal that is sure to please everyone in the family!
One Pot Meals are the best for busy families like mine because they are simple, come together in a flash and require minimal equipment and clean up. Some of our favorite one pot meals are One Pot Chicken Spaghetti, One Pot Creamy Chicken and Noodles and this One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage Pasta.
The best part is it takes only about 20 minutes from start to finish. These one pot meals have become my go-to weeknight dinners. Pair with a salad and you’re good to go!
I love smoked sausage, and it was perfect paired with the other flavors in this recipe. I can’t wait to create some more!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY SMOKED SAUSAGE PASTA
The steps for this recipe are quick and easy. Saute your Hillshire Farm Smoked Turkey Sausage (or any brand will do) with some onion and garlic, then add a can of Rotel diced tomatoes, pasta, cream, chicken broth and seasons. It only takes about 15 minutes to cook – add some cheese and you’re good to go!
- Cook onions, garlic and smoked sausage in a large, deep saute pan and cook until lightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, Rotel tomatoes (or plain tomatoes, with or without chiles is your call), milk, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover it with the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and the pasta is tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Feel free to use your favorite melty cheese, like Mozzarella or Jack. Pepper Jack would add even more heat so that’s another great option.
A lot of people ask what pan I use for this smoked sausage recipe. I use my Simply Calphalon Nonstick 5-qt. Sauté Pan. It’s a great non-stick pan, it’s held up fabulously for years, and clean up is a snap! I recently purchased a Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12″ Everyday Pan and that one is just as fabulous. Both are perfect for any of my one pot meals.
WANT MORE SMOKED SAUSAGE RECIPES?
- Sausage & Apple Sheet Pan Dinner
- One Pan Creamy Tortellini and Sausage
- White Bean, Kale & Sausage Soup
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like some of my other one pot meals:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Hillshire Farm Smoked Turkey Sausage sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic about two fresh cloves
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes (with or without chiles) (like rotel)
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- 8 oz dry pasta any small pasta will do
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper each
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions for garnish
- Add olive oil to a 4-5 quart saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
- Makes about 4 servings.
*Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Simple Recipes Cookbook.
For a complete list of recipes on the site, be sure to go here.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.