This Smoked Sausage and Potato Sheet Pan Dinner is an easy weeknight dinner idea that your whole family will enjoy!
Sheet pan dinners have become quite popular, and I’m kind of in love with them. From my Italian Chicken & Vegetables to this Salmon & Asparagus we love coming up with new ways to cook an entire meal on one pan.
I had every intention of grilling this smoked sausage with potatoes and onions in foil packets on the grill. Sounds amazing right? But, then I realized I didn’t have enough foil, so into the oven it went! Smoked sausage in all it’s smoky, salty, savory glory, creamy baby yellow potatoes (and a few pink ones thrown in there) and of course some sweet onion; and this Smoked Sausage and Potato Sheet Pan Dinner was born!
Seasoning is important around here, to me anyway, so I concocted a simple seasoning blend of salt and pepper, dried thyme and smoky paprika. The sausage and veggies are coated in olive oil and the seasoning plus a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to brighten it all up, then everything is poured onto a sheet pan. Can I just tell you this dish was absolutely amazing?! It please everyone in my family, even the pickiest eater!
I’ve made this a few times now, and each time I switch it up just a little with the veggies I throw in there. I love adding carrots, as there sweets pairs so nicely with the smokiness of the sausage and paprika. Sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini and squash all would be great in there as well. Add whatever you have on hand…just remember that more tender veggies like zucchini and tomatoes take less time to cook so I would add them during that last 15 minutes or so.
Since the sausage is already cooked you really don’t have to worry about whether or not the meat is done. This cooking process is more to get the potatoes nice and tender and to get that delicious caramelization on the smoked sausage and onions. Those little charred bits are money baby (name that movie!).
The finishing touch is always parsley, and there you have it! It’s crazy easy, takes under an hour, and is one of the best family-pleasing recipes I’ve made in a long time. Try it for yourself!
Smoked Sausage and Potato Sheet Pan Dinner:
Smoked Sausage & Potato Sheet Pan Dinner
This Smoked Sausage & Potato Sheet Pan Dinner is an easy weeknight dinner idea that your whole family will enjoy!
Yield 4 servings
- pound smoked sausage
- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- 1 pound of baby yellow and/or red potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice sausage, potatoes (washed) and onions into bite-sized pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Drizzle on olive oil and lemon juice and add seasonings. Stir to coat evenly.
- Pour mixture onto a foil or parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve hot.
- You can use any kind of potato you like with this recipe. You just want about 3 cups. With russets, I'd peel them, but any other leave the skin on.
- Want to add some more vegetables? Go for it! I'll often thrown in 6-8 carrots or corn cobs. But play around with it based on your likes and dislikes. Keep in mind that root vegetables take longer and others need a lot less time so adjust accordingly.
**This post contains affiliate links. Your click helps to support the free content on this blog – thank you!
Here is another smoked sausage recipe we love:
Here are a few more easy sheet pan dinners:
- Italian Chicken & Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner
- Teriyaki Barbecue Pineapple Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Salmon, Asparagus & Potatoes Sheet Pan Dinner