Grilled Sausage and Peppers Foil Packets are an easy way to make a delicious meal with minimal effort this summer. Savory sausages are steamed with peppers, onions and beer, then grilled for a few minutes to get that beautiful char.
If your family loves outdoor cooking as much as mine does, you have got to try some of our other great recipes. When we’re not grilling sausage and peppers, we love Grilled Steak or Grilled Chicken, and Grilled Zucchini is always a favorite!
Grilled Sausage and Peppers Foil Packets Recipe
One of my favorite parts of summer is grilling food for dinner with friends and family and being able to sit around and chat while the food is cooking. With these Foil Packet Sausage and Peppers, all you have to do is assemble and let the grill do the rest!
I’m a huge fan of bratwurst sausages with peppers and onions since it’s such a quick meal. I’ve found that throwing them all together in a foil packet with a little liquid to steam them is the fastest way to cook everything. This also produces the least amount of dishes which is perfect for busy nights and parties. Throw the sausage and veggies in a warm and toasty roll and you’ve got yourself a delicious grilled meal.
How to grill foil packet sausage and peppers
- Heat your outdoor grill to medium and clean the grates.
- Cut two sheets of foil about 12×20-inches and pour a little olive oil in center of each to prevent sticking. I recommend using heavy duty or grilling foil if you can find it.
- Arrange the sausages, peppers and onions on the foil, then pour in a small amount of your favorite beer and wrap tightly, securing all open ends to prevent steam from escaping.
- Grill over direct heat for about 15 minutes. Transfer the packets to indirect heat and open to remove the sausages. The veggies will stay worm as long as you leave them on the grill.
- Place the cooked sausages on the grill for a couple of minutes per side to give them those luscious grill marks.
Since using the liquid and enclosing everything in the foil packet and steams the sausages, the casings turn almost a pale white. It doesn’t look super appetizing at first, but allowing a few minutes on either side of the sausage to sit on the grill to give grill marks makes it look much better. One thing I love about steaming is the fact that you get a great pop from the casings when you bite into them, since they are less likely to split open as they cook.
Tips and Tricks
Check out these tips and frequently asked questions.
I love to serve grilled sausage and peppers on a roll (not a hot dog bun). Place the sausages in the roll and top with the onions and peppers. You can also toast the buns on the grill to give it that extra char and flavor. We love this meal with a side of German Potato Salad or potato chips.
Want more veggies? Wrap cut up veggies, like bell peppers, squash or green beans, in foil packets with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and grill them at the same time as the sausage. They should take about 15-20 minutes. I don’t recommend using root vegetables because they will take longer to cook.
What can I use instead of beer?
I have tried both a light beer and chicken broth as the liquid to steam with. Both produced great results and really give the sausages extra flavor of whatever you end up choosing. If you have a little extra broth leftover, try using that. If you love beer and want to infuse your sausages with some beer flavor, try that!
Do I have to use Bratwurst?
You don’t have to use Bratwurst if you’re not a fan. There is a huge variety of sausage available at the market. Here are a few of our other favorites:
- Italian Sausages
- Chicken and Apple Sausage
- Andouille Sausage
- Hot Links
How to cook foil packet sausage and peppers in the oven
Want to be able to make this recipe year round? Prep your foil packets as directed and bake them at 350 degrees F. The sausage should register 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
Looking for another great recipe to try on the grill? Try these:
- Grilled Kielbasa and Veggie Kabobs
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Spice Rubbed Grilled Tri Tip
- Grilled Hamburger Sliders
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Chimichurri Sauce
Foil Packet Sausages with Peppers & Onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 bratwurst sausages or any favorite uncooked sausage
- 1 green pepper sliced into long strips
- 1 yellow or sweet onion sliced into long strips
- 1/4 cup your favorite beer or broth that you have on hand
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 buns
- mustard optional
- Warm grill to medium heat.
- Take two pieces of aluminum foil about 12"x20" and spread 1 tbsp of olive oil in the middle on each.
- Place two sausages and half of the pepper and onion on each sheet of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of beer or broth on each set of sausages. Sprinkle salt and pepper on each set of sausages. Mix everything around to make sure it's fully coated.
- Bring the two short sides of the aluminum foil to the middle and fold over twice to shut. Fold either end of the packets twice to ensure the liquid won't escape. Repeat for the other packet. Place on the grill and cook for 15-18 minutes until sausages are cooked through and peppers and onions are tender.
- Open packets and leave open packets on the grill so the peppers and onions stay warm. Remove sausages and place directly on the grill. Cook on either side for 2-3 minutes to give sausages grill marks.
- Serve warm over a bun with a sausage, peppers, onions, and mustard. Enjoy!