Grilled Hamburger Sliders are the perfect mini sized meal to serve all summer long. These juicy little burgers are so flavorful and quick to whip up and are great for parties and summertime picnics.
Summertime means it’s time to break out the barbecue and start grilling up some of our favorite recipes like Spice Rubbed Grilled Tri Tip, Grilled Chicken Thighs, Grilled Shrimp Tacos and these adorable mini grilled hamburger sliders.
Hamburger Sliders for a Crowd
Happy Summer everyone! Amanda here from Old House to New Home sharing my go to classic hamburger slider recipe for summer. I like to make them slider sized for picnics and entertaining so that people can fill their plates with more different types of food.
I love summertime and all the food that comes with it! Pasta salad, potato salad, and fruit filled desserts! While I love hamburgers, I prefer these small sized ones so I can try a little of everything. Plus, by making them smaller, you stretch your pound of ground beef and get more bang for your buck.
These delicious Grilled Hamburger Sliders are the ultimate summertime burger. Serve these at a picnic or to your family for dinner and you will have happy campers around the table.
What Type of Meat Should You Use for Sliders?
When making burgers, it is best to use no leaner than 85/15 to ensure a juicy burger. This is one instance where more fat is definitely better! I recommend using using hormone free, grass fed beef.
How to Make Hamburger Sliders on the Grill
- Preheat your grill. This ensures that your grill will be nice and hot when it’s time to cook your sliders.
- Mix up the meat. Add ground beef, seasonings and steak sauce to a bowl. I like to add steak sauce for the tangy flavor it adds to our burgers. Use clean hands to mix the ground beef to avoid over-mixing.
- Form the slider patties. Grab a small chunk of the ground beef and shape the patties using your hands. You can make them thick or thin. Let them rest at least 10 minutes before grilling.
- Grill. Throw your slider patties on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. If add cheese, do so during the last minute of grilling and keep the grill closed.
Dress Up Your Sliders
Wondering what to put on your hamburger sliders? Typical burger toppings include cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. But you can dress them up any way you like:
- Add grilled onions, cheddar cheese, bacon and barbecue sauce for a western bacon cheeseburger.
- Make greek sliders with feta cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and garlic aioli.
- Top with chili and cheese.
- Add buffalo sauce and blue cheese for a spicy treat.
- Use ground turkey for a healthier turkey burger slider.
- Stuffed BBQ Bacon Burgers
Top Tips and FAQs
I’ve learned a few tricks over the years to making these burgers juicy and flavorful.
- Seasoning. For every hamburger I make, I keep the seasoning simple and use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. For extra flavor, I like to add 1 tablespoon of my favorite steak sauce. When making burgers, you really don’t want to use fancy seasonings. Just cook them well and the meat will be the star.
- What size are hamburger sliders? Each slider should be about 2 ounces and so you will get 8 sliders per pound of meat. Sliders should be uniform in size and thickness to ensure even cooking. I do this by adding all my meat to a bowl and pushing it down evenly, then scoring it into equal pieces.
- Why do my burgers shrink when I put them on the grill? The trick here is to indent the middle of the burger slightly with your thumb to help prevent shrinkage.
- Grill the bun! Don’t put your hot burger on a cold bun. It will soak up the juices and no one likes soggy buns! Toast the buns on the grill for a great flavor and texture.
What to do with leftovers
Leftover burgers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. For the freezer, wrap individual burgers in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Store for up to 6 months.
Reheat thawed burgers in the oven or microwave. Putting them back on the grill is not recommended as it will toughen the outside.
What to Serve with Hamburger Sliders
Wondering what to serve with your grilled burgers? Try these backyard bbq favorites:
- Best Ever Classic Macaroni Salad
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beans
- Fruit Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Bacon Cheddar Ranch Potato Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Homemade Baked French Fries
- Creamy Walnut Coleslaw Recipe
- Antipasto Pasta Salad
Grilled Hamburger Sliders
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 8 slider buns
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese cut in half
- Optional toppings: onions, lettuce, tomato, etc.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat (450-500 degrees F).
- Add meat, seasonings, and steak sauce to a mixing bowl. Mix well with clean hands.
- Divide the meat into 8 even pieces. Grab each piece and roll into a ball then press down into a patty. Keep in mind that the meat will shrink a lot during cooking. Use your thumb to indent the middle of each burger to reduce shrinkage.
- Cook burgers 2-3 minutes then flip. Cook for a minute, then add cheese and cook for another 1-2 minutes.Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Place on buns with desired toppings.