Basic chicken wings are baked to crispy perfection using a special dry seasoning mixture, then coated with your favorite barbecue sauce. They are then broiled to crispy, sweet, sticky perfection!
Chicken wings are one of the most popular game day snacks, and it’s no wonder why. Spicy, garlicky, vinegary sauces coat these little deep fried pieces of deliciousness and it’s easy to eat way more than you should. And did I mention they are usually deep fried?
I’m not a fan of deep frying at home, so I began making chicken wings in the oven. It wasn’t until I began using a coating of flour, baking powder and spices that I discovered it was easy to achieve crispy chicken wings right in the oven. Adding barbecue sauce was a no-brainer. To finish them off I place them under the broiler to get that super sticky sweet finish.
Crispy Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings
Yield 24 wings
- 2 dozen chicken wings
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Trim any excess skin from chicken wings (leaving most of the skin in tact). Pat dry and place each wing in the flour mixture, stirring to coat each wing.
- Place wings on the coated, foil covered baking sheet; close together but not touching.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip wings over and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven and move the oven rack to the top position. Flip the oven to hi-broil.
- While the broiler is heating, generously brush each wing with barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven and broil for about 5 minutes. Watch closely as they can burn easily.
- Remove pan from the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.
Get the Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe HERE.
For more tasty snacks, try these: