This One Pot Creamy Chicken and Noodles is a childhood favorite. Full of tender noodles, chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce and cooked in one pan for easy clean-up, this great recipe is a weeknight dream.
One Pot Meals have become a staple in our home and we especially enjoy One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage Pasta and One Pot Chicken Alfredo. I love them for the ease of cooking and clean up and my kids love them because they taste really good! Cooking the pasta IN the sauce creates a delicious, rich flavor that you just can’t get when cooking in water.
Homestyle One Pan Chicken and Noodles
When I was a young girl I used to visit my aunt and grandmother often. My aunt used to make the best chicken and noodles! So rich and creamy and delicious that you couldn’t help but ask for seconds. I was wanting to recreate her recipe, but in a one pot version, so I got to work creating this dish.
My cousins were talking about this the other day, chatting back and forth on facebook, remembering how much they loved this recipe from the grandma as kids. I had to chime in because I loved it too! It’s a great, classic recipe made modern with a few tweaks for simplicity. I hope that your family will enjoy this recipe as much as my family did!
HOW TO MAKE MY ONE PAN CHICKEN AND NOODLES RECIPE
This is the kind of comfort food dreams are made of. Seriously, so many yummy flavors melting together to create a rich, savory meal that the whole family will love. There are a few ways you could customize this recipe, like swapping out the fettucine noodles for a smaller pasta like rotini or farfalle. You could cut the cooking time by about 10 minutes if you do that. You could also swap out the sharp cheddar for something a little more mild like jack cheese or mozzarella. Adding some parmesan cheese would be fantastic! Or you could even leave out the cheese altogether.
Here are the ingredients you need:
- Chicken breast – I prefer chicken breast in this recipe but if you like you can use chicken thighs instead. If you’re in a hurry, you could use pre cooked chicken, like from a rotisserie.
- Onions, Carrots, Celery – the base veggies for any good casserole or soup recipe.
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Fettuccine Noodles
- Cheddar Cheese
- Herbs & Spices (thyme, parsley, garlic)
Chicken and Noodles is easy to make too, in just a few steps:
- Heat a large skillet or large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and the vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through. A little pink is ok; it will continue cooking later.
- Add the liquids, dry pasta and seasonings.
- Bring it all to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Optional – Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 5 minutes to melt. Garnish with fresh parsley.
See? Four super easy and simple steps!
Can I freeze Chicken and Noodles?
Unfortunately pasta just doesn’t hold up well to freezing and simply turns to mush when reheated. The sauce will separate and become grainy.
If you have leftovers, I recommend storing them in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoying within 3-4 days. To reheat, add a little bit of milk or cream and heat on the stove or in the microwave on 50% power.
What tools do you need to make One Pot Chicken and Noodles?
A lot of people ask what pan I use. I use my Simply Calphalon Nonstick 5-qt. Sauté Pan. It’s a great non-stick pan, it’s held up fabulously for years, and clean up is a snap! I recently purchased a Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12″ Everyday Pan and that one is just as fabulous. Both are perfect for my one pot meals. If you don’t have a shallow saute pan, a regular soup pot will do just fine.
For more one pot meals, check out these popular recipes:
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- One Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff
You’ll love these other pasta recipes:
One Pot Creamy Chicken and Noodles
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion diced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat milk (fill the chicken soup can)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces dry fettuccine pasta* 1/2 of a regular box
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Heat olive oil in a 4-5 quart pot or saute pan.
- Add chopped vegetables and minced garlic. Saute over medium-high heat for about five minutes, or until vegetables are just becoming tender.
- Add chicken and season with a couple pinches of salt and a pinch of pepper. Continue to saute over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. It does not have to be cooked through since it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Add cream of chicken soup, milk (fill the chicken soup can), chicken broth, pasta and dry seasonings. Stir.
- Bring to a boil and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring every five minutes to keep pasta from sticking together.
- Once pasta is cooked to your liking, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover pot and let rest for 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley for garnish.