Last updated on
This easy One Pot Chicken Alfredo recipe includes pan-seared chicken breasts and tender pasta in a lusciously creamy sauce. It’s a quick 30-minute meal that’s cooked all in one pan for easy clean up.
Perfect for busy weeknights, Chicken Alfredo is a classic dinner that’s both comforting and filling. Want more creamy pasta dishes? Try our popular Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta, Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta, or Easy Alfredo Chicken Lasagna.
I mean it when I say that this is the BEST chicken alfredo you’ll ever taste! I took all of the elements of my creamy Homemade Alfredo Sauce and created a one pot meal that is a total winner.
Making it all in one pan means less dishes to wash and less hands-on cooking time. Brown some chicken, add some liquid and pasta, and simmer until tender. One Pot Chicken Alfredo is so easy, you’ll want to make it a menu regular.
Chicken Alfredo Ingredients
* Be sure to see the recipe card below for the
complete list of ingredients and full instructions *
There are three main components to this dish, and it comes together in only a few steps.
- The chicken – you need about a pound, but you can use a little more if you like to have more chicken than pasta. I cut it into chunks and seared it in some olive oil until it was golden brown on all sides. You don’t need to cook it completely through because it will continue to cook in the liquid you’re going to add.
- The pasta – Any type of noodle works in this recipe, I chose to use penne but some other great options include fettuccine, spaghetti, rotini, etc. Break larger noodles in half so they will be completely submerged in the liquid.
- The sauce – The sauce will come together with the pasta and chicken to simmer and actually cook the pasta as it forms the sauce. There is garlic, chicken broth, butter, Italian seasoning, heavy cream and cream cheese.
- Parmesan cheese – This is what makes alfredo, alfredo. Add in small batches to ensure even melting.
- Parsley for garnish.
How to Make It
This recipe is pretty easy and moves quickly. But once you get the sauce bubbling, it’s hands-off so you have some time to whip up delicious side dishes.
Brown the chicken. Start by browning the chicken in a skillet with some olive oil or butter.
Add the sauce. Add in the ingredients for the sauce and noodles, then bring everything to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Finish the sauce. Once the pasta is cooked, give the whole this a good toss around to make sure the pasta is evenly coated with sauce. Add parmesan cheese (a little at a time) and stir it up until it’s completely melted.
Garnish. I like to garnish with more fresh Parmesan cheese, minced parsley or basil, and fresh cracked black pepper, but those are totally optional.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Avoid the pre-shredded cheese. Choose a quality Parmesan and shred it fresh off the block. Pre-shredded cheese generally doesn’t melt well, but this is especially true for Parmesan. The coating that keeps it from sticking can also make it a bit tough.
- Careful not to overcook the chicken – Because you’re going to continue to simmer the meat in the sauce after you’ve browned it, it’s ok to cook to about 150-155 degrees F. The chicken will continue cooking as the sauce simmers.
- Add the Parmesan in small batches and stir in until completely melted. Adding it all at once can end up in a big clump that doesn’t mix in well.
- Try adding in some broccoli florets to the sauce. Tomatoes, asparagus, or even a spoonful of Homemade Pesto would be delicious.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Make Ahead: Because of the one pot nature of this recipe, it’s best cooked right before you plan on serving it.
Storing leftovers: All leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Reheating: Reheat the pasta in a pan over medium heat. If you have it, add just a splash of cream or milk to help bring the sauce back together.
While this is a creamy, indulgent, and filling dish, there are some lighter side dishes that would be great to serve it with.
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Beer Bread
- Parmesan Garlic Herb Quick Bread
- Olive Garden Salad Copycat
- Garlic Bread
More One Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below. Or, tag us on social media @yellowblissroad or #yellowblissroad for a chance to be featured.
One Pot Chicken Alfredo
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken broth vegetable broth may be substituted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ pound uncooked pasta Penne, rigatoni, rotini, etc.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- fresh minced parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large deep skillet or saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to the oil. Saute chicken for a few minutes, turning a few times to ensure even browning. Add in garlic and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, pasta, cream cheese, butter, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh Parmesan cheese, minced parsley and fresh cracked black pepper if desired.