This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a delightful way to eat chicken – stuffed with savory Italian sausage and gooey Mozzarella cheese! It’s an easy weeknight meal that’s classy enough for company.
Want more stuffed chicken recipes? Try my delicious Bacon and Cheddar Hasselback Chicken.
Table of Contents
- Chicken Breasts – About 2 pounds or 3 large pieces, boneless and skinless.
- Spaghetti Sauce – I used our favorite jarred spaghetti sauce, but you could also make a basic Marinara Sauce or a Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.
- Onion and Garlic – Cooked with the sausage, for added flavor.
- Italian Sausage – Ground, or removed from the casings.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Freshly grated for the best melt.
- Seasonings – Dried basil, oregano and parsley.
How To Make Sausage Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This Italian Sausage Stuffed Baked Chicken is just that – a super easy meal that tastes super complicated.
While it’s really easy to make, there are a few steps.
Step One: Cook the Sausage. In a large skillet cook the ground Italian sausage with some diced onion and garlic. Spoon half of the sausage onto a plate and set aside to cool. Stir some spaghetti sauce into the rest of the sausage and simmer.
Step Two: Butterfly the Chicken Breasts. The chicken breasts are first lightly pounded (essential to quick and evenly cooking chicken) and then butterfly cut. It’s easiest to do this with a sharp paring knife, making a slit through the center of the chicken lengthwise to form a sort of “pocket.”
Step Three: Stuff the Chicken. Stuff the cooled half of the sausage evenly into each chicken breast. Once stuffed, you can secure the chicken with toothpicks or baker’s twine.
Step Four: Arrange in the Skillet and Bake. Transfer the chicken to the skillet, nestling it into the sauce. Cover with the sauce and some cheese and bake for 30 minutes. This is easiest to do in an oven-safe skillet for a one-pot dish, but you can also could cook the sausage and sauce in a skillet, then layer everything in a baking dish.
Step Five: Serve and Enjoy! After plating the chicken, stir the sauce to incorporate all that cheese that’s left behind and serve over your favorite pasta.
- Make sure to drain the sausage on paper towels and blot well before stuffing into the chicken.
- Be sure to remove the toothpicks or twine before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
More Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Homemade Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
Italian Sausage Stuffed Bake Chicken Breasts
- 12-inch oven safe skillet
- Toothpicks or baking twine
- Slotted spoon
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts About 6-ounces each
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce 24 ounces of any kind
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic about 1 clove
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage divided
- 2 cups freshly shredded Mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into the skillet and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer half of the sausage to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Turn heat to medium low. Pour about ½ cup spaghetti sauce into a measuring cup, and pour the remainder into the skillet. Combine with the sausage and cook for a few minutes until sauce starts to bubble. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer while you prepare the chicken.
- Place chicken breasts on a flat surface in a plastic bag or between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Lightly pound with a meat mallet or the flat bottom of a skillet, just until even in thickness.
- Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing into the long side of the breast, stopping just about ¼ of an inch from the opposite side, to form a pocket.
- Stir together remaining sausage with 1 cup of freshly shredded Mozzarella. Stuff each breast evenly with the sausage mixture and secure the sides together with baking twine or toothpicks. Place seam side down in the skillet with the sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce over the chicken and spread evenly. Top with remaining shredded Mozzarella and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Stick a toothpick into the top of each breast about halfway to keep the foil from touching the cheese. Cover with foil; you might need two sheets to cover the whole pan.
- Bake at 400℉ for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through to 165℉.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley and serve immediately with your favorite pasta.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
So good and so easy to throw together! Thank you
You are so welcome Jennifer! Awesome feedback, thanks for stopping by
Can this be prepared in advanced and can I cook it in a baking dish
I think it could be prepared in advance and definitely you could cook in a baking dish.
I am planning on making this recipe for 6 people. Does anything change other than doubling the ingredients. Do I have to cook it longer and can I put all 6 in one baking dish.