Last updated on
A big bowl of Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is the best way to warm up on a cold day!
I adore fall. The cooler weather invokes thoughts of sweaters, boots, and soup. Lots and lots of soup! There’s something so comforting about a bowl of homemade soup to soothe your soul and warm you through and through. This Chicken Tortellini soup is one of my all-time favorites!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it’s ready in just under 30 minutes, start to finish. You can do all the prep work while the chicken cooks, and then it’s just a matter of layering flavors for a taste you’ll crave. I wish I could let you plug into my brain to understand how delicious this soup is! It’s creamy without feeling heavy, and will leave you satisfied anytime of day. Make this soup and soon! You can thank me later.
Hungry for more?
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 celery stalks ends removed
- 2 carrots peeled & ends removed
- 1 yellow onion peeled
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Season and chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Arrange the thighs in a single layer in the bottom of your pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, turning once, until no longer pink. Remove to a plate; set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking dice the celery, carrots, onions, and garlic.
- Add all the diced veggies to the pot. Stir to coat in the chicken juices and fat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- While the veggies cook, rinse the spinach. Use a paper towel to dry to try the spinach and squeeze as much water from it as you can. Rough chop the spinach. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the veggies with flour and stir to coat. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the spinach, tortellini, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 6 minutes. Add the cream cheese in small pieces to the soup. Stir the soup often to help break down the cream cheese.
- Pour in the milk and stir. Cook the soup for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly. Shred or dice the chicken and add it into the soup. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.