This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is rich and flavorful and just right for when you’re craving a little comfort food.
Is it ok if I tell you just how surprised I was at how good this soup came out? I mean, I kind of doubted myself for a little bit…but you can keep that just between us, right?
It was 90 degrees in the shade and I had decided to make soup. But I didn’t want just any soup, I wanted super comforting, ultra creamy, chicken and rice soup. I had a ton of shredded chicken that I’d made in the slow cooker (recipe HERE) so I knew it wouldn’t take too long.
I sauteed some carrots, celery and onion, then added some spices and seasonings that I randomly grabbed from my pantry. Yes, I seriously looked into my spice cabinet and thought “that sounds good, let’s use that!” Of course there was garlic, and also some bay leaves, thyme and oregano, then salt and pepper. It smelled ah-mazing!!
Next in went the chicken broth and the shredded chicken, and it was all brought to a boil then simmered for about 20 minutes. The final step was to whisk together the heavy cream and milk with some flour, then pour that along with the wild rice into the pot. Another 20 minutes and that soup was creamy, bubbly and absolutely delicious.
The soup did thicken quite a bit while standing, so it was more like a stew by the time we ate it. I just added a little more chicken broth and it was perfect. The nuttiness of the wild rice gives a lovely earthiness that compliments the creamy broth. We’ll definitely be enjoying this over and over this fall for sure!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 celery stalks sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 carrots sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small white onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 2-3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8- ounce package uncooked long grain wild rice discard seasoning packet
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until onions are translucent, stirring often.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk cream, milk and flour together in a bowl. Whisk into soup until combined.
- Stir in wild rice and simmer for another 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Divide into bowls and serve hot. Leftover soup can be frozen, if desired.
For more soup recipes, try these: