This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is loaded with shredded chicken, wild rice, vegetables, herbs and spices in a creamy broth. It’s rich and flavorful and just right for when you’re craving a little comfort food.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
This is the ultimate cold weather soup recipe! A loose copycat of Panera’s Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, this thick and creamy soup is full of so many good things and has such a great flavor.
Wild rice has a unique flavor that is distinctly different from noodles or white rice that you typically find in chicken soup. It has a nuttiness that is complimented by all the herbs and spices and really makes this soup completely irresistible.
This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe is –
- Creamy and comforting.
- Perfect for a chilly night, but still delicious any time of the year.
- Easy to make on the stove top or in your slow cooker.
- A one pot meal!
- Olive oil and butter – for sauteeing the vegetables.
- Veggies – Celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
- Herbs – Bay leaves, dried thyme, dried oregano. Feel free to use fresh herbs and just double or triple the amount. You could also include additional herbs, like sage and rosemary.
- Chicken broth – I prefer to use a low sodium chicken broth so I can control the amount of salt in the soup.
- Chicken – Cooked and shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Heavy cream and milk – Any variation is fine, like half and half, all milk, or all cream.
- All-purpose flour – For thickening.
- Wild rice – If it comes with a seasoning packet, make sure to discard that.
How To Make Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Ready in about an hour, this creamy soup is pretty simple to make.
- Saute the veggies with some oil and butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add the herbs and spices and saute for about a minute.
- Add chicken and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, milk, and flour until the flour is completely blended with the liquid.
- Add wild rice blend and milk mixture to the soup and bring to a simmer until the rice is tender. The soup will as it simmers, and may continue to thicken as it sits.
How To Serve
With this recipe, you’ve got a one pot meal complete with protein, grains, and veggies. Serve with some crusty rolls or homemade Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread. To stretch it a little further, add a salad or some fruit on the side.
How To Store
Storage: Once soup is completely cooled, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. I don’t recommend freezing as the texture will change dramatically.
Reheating: While you can certainly microwave leftovers, I highly recommend reheating in a saucepan on the stove over low heat. If it’s too thick, add a little chicken broth or milk to thin it out a bit.
- This soup is thick and creamy – it will continue to thicken as it stands. If it’s too thick and you want to thin it out a bit, add some chicken broth, a little bit at a time.
- Want more veggies? Try adding some mushrooms!
- Cooking the rice in the soup does release starches from the rice into the soup. If you want to make this ahead of time, leave out the rice, store the soup in the fridge for a day or 2. When you’re ready to serve, cook the rice fresh (separately) and add it to the hot soup.
More Soup Recipes to Try
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 celery stalks sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 carrots sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small white onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 2-3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8- ounce package uncooked long grain wild rice discard seasoning packet
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until onions are translucent, stirring often.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk cream, milk and flour together in a bowl. Whisk into soup until combined.
- Stir in wild rice and simmer for another 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Divide into bowls and serve hot. Leftover soup can be frozen, if desired.