This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is a new and easy way to make a classic standby favorite. It’s warm and comforting and perfect for cold weather.
There’s nothing like a hearty bowl of soup on a cold day. If you love classic soups as we do, you’ll love some of our other favorites, like Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup, Smoky Vegetable Beef Soup, and Instant Pot Tomato Soup.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup is often the remedy most people offer when you’re not feeling well. It’s comforting and soothing and sentimental. There are plenty of canned options out there when you need a quick chicken soup fix, but my new preferred method is this Homemade Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
This Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is as easy as they come. Simply chop up your veggies, add some chicken breasts, seasonings and broth, then set it and forget it! The flavors get plenty of time to blend together and produce a flavorful, comforting soup.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken – I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use boneless chicken thighs.
- Vegetables – Celery, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Herbs and spices – Bay leaves, oregano, thyme, allspice, salt, and black pepper. Feel free to use fresh herbs if you prefer.
- Chicken broth – I always go for the low-sodium variety so I can control the salt content.
- Wide Egg Noodles – Uncooked, to add at the end. You can also cook these separately.
- Fresh parsley – Added at the end just before serving.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Add chicken, vegetables, herbs, spices, and broth to the crock pot.
- Cover and turn heat to LOW for about 6-7 hours, or HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer them to a cutting board and shred or chop into bite size pieces.
- Add the chicken back to the soup and add the dry noodles. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. You could also cook the noodles separately in a pot on the stove. Be careful not to overcook the noodles – they will be mushy and not very palatable.
- Stir in some fresh parsley and ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with crackers or some crusty bread.
It is not recommended to use frozen chicken in a slow cooker. As the temperature goes up slowly, it could potentially be in the food temperature “danger zone” and encourage harmful bacteria growth. Thaw your chicken safely in the refrigerator for best (and safest) results.
There really is nothing more comforting than homemade chicken noodle soup. It helps the common cold – the warm broth soothes a sore throat and the anti-inflammatory properties in the broth have been known to reduce congestion. Plus it’s just so comforting.
Chicken broth is naturally low in calories and easy to digest, plus it’s nutritious and the added chicken provides a good dose of protein.
Chicken and Rice Soup
Fresh out of egg noodles? Use rice instead! Add a small scoop of pre-cooked rice to the bowl then ladle in the soup.
Refrigerate: Let the soup cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Keep in mind that the noodles in the soup will continue to soak up the broth as it sits, so they may get a little too soft. If you can, store noodles and soup separately.
Freeze: the soup will freeze really well without the noodles, which may break up and become mushy when thawed. If you want to have leftovers or make a double batch, I highly recommend cooking the noodles separately.
Reheating: Microwave reheating works well, but I recommend reheating the soup in a saucepan on the stove.
More Chicken Soup Recipes to Try
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caldo de Pollo (Mexican Chicken Soup)
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Italian Chicken Soup
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 ribs celery sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch coins
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 64 ounces Chicken Broth more or less to fill the crockpot about ⅔
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups uncooked Egg Noodles
- ¼ cup fresh minced parsley
- Add chicken breasts, vegetables and seasonings to the slow cooker. Pour in broth and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred into chunks with two forks. Discard bay leaves and allspice.
- Place shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and add noodles. Stir, then cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in fresh minced parsley and serve warm.