Last updated on
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Minestrone Soup recipe, with it’s rich broth and tons of veggies, is a delicious way to warm up with some hearty, healthy comfort food in less than 30 minutes.
Hey all! Sam back from The Culinary Compass. I don’t know about you, but this winter feels like it’s been colder than usual especially here in Maryland where I live. There’s only one way to combat the cold and that’s with a steaming hot bowl of delicious, belly-warming soup, like my Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup, Chicken & Corn Chowder, Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup and this rich and flavorful Chicken Minestrone Soup.
CHICKEN MINESTRONE SOUP RECIPE
I made this Chicken Minestrone Soup with little effort and it resulted in a lot of great warming flavors! Lots of layers of veggies, herbs, pasta, and chicken resulting in a great hearty dinner, and the great part of this meal is that you can easily prep all the veggies ahead of time in order to just dump them into the pot the day that you want to make it. Even better is that this soup is great for using up veggies that you have in your refrigerator.
You could always add in extra green beans, peppers, or potatoes if you want to use those too! Just add a little extra water if you add in more veggies, the pasta and veggies tend to soak up a lot of broth.
To make this meal even easier, I used a rotisserie chicken and just picked the meat off of that! It took probably 5-10 minutes which you can do while the beginning of the soup is cooking. It makes for easier clean up and less time spent prepping which for these long winter nights I am all about. As an alternative, you could always keep my Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken on hand.
Since this recipe makes a lot of servings, I would either recommend cutting it in half for a family of four or make the entire batch for extras! I ended up putting about half of what I made into a gallon freezer bag once it cooled and threw it in the freezer for a meal at a later time!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MINESTRONE SOUP
Simple to make, but hearty and full of incredible layers of flavor, this soup recipe is sure to become a winter staple.
- Start by heating olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, vegetables and spices and cook until the onions begin to turn translucent and aromatic.
Pour in vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, water and ditalini pasta. Bring it all to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is about cooked through.
- Finally, turn the heat down and add canellini beans and the shredded chicken and simmer the soup for about 5 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and a nice, rustic loaf of Italian bread.
CAN I FREEZE MINESTRONE SOUP?
If you have leftovers (this recipe makes about 8 servings), let the soup cool completely and then pour leftovers into a large ziploc freezer bag or into an airtight container. If stored properly, the soup will retain it’s flavor and quality in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Minestrone Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
For even more delicious soups, try these:
Chicken Minestrone Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup zucchini quartered, about ½ zucchini
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart vegetable broth chicken broth can be substituted
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with the juices
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry ditalini pasta
- 15.5 ounces canned canellini beans drained
- 4 cups chicken shredded
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add in garlic, carrots, onion, celery, zucchini, sage, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper and heat until onions are translucent and aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, water, and ditalini. Turn heat to medium high to bring to a boil and cook until pasta is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Add canellini beans and shredded chicken and let simmer another 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!