Such a hearty, creamy, comforting bowl of soup – This Chicken & Corn Chowder comes together super quick in just one big pot making it perfect for busy weeknights.
When someone tells you, “this is my favorite soup that you’ve ever made” you know you have a winner. That’s what I heard multiple times from my family while we enjoyed this soup on a cold winter night. I won’t lie, it really is delicious, and it may just be my favorite soup yet.
Now, before you get all up in arms screaming that this isn’t “chowder,” I will admit that you’r kind of right. Chowders are typically thickened with a roux of sorts, and I didn’t do that. So, it’s more chowder-esque. But that’s ok, because it totally scrumptious. Not to worry though, I’ll include thickening instructions in the recipe in case you want to do that.
So what makes this soup so creamy if you aren’t thickening it? Well, cream for starters. I used a combination of one part heavy cream and one part nonfat milk. You could also use all heavy cream or even Half & Half for a richer soup but I like to reduce the fat and calories a tad by using the nonfat milk. This Chicken & Corn Chowder is super versatile – you could add some cream cheese or even some nice cheddar for extra flavor. If you want to save on calories, you could leave the cream out all together.
Whichever way you make it, make it your own – that’s what cooking is all about! Enjoy, my friends!
Chicken & Corn ChowderPrint Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 medium carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic 4 cloves
- 1 15- ounce can creamed corn
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 8- ounce can green chiles
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced or shredded boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy cream*
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 green onions diced
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley for garnish if desired
- In a large pot (5 quart) heat olive oil over medium heat and add diced onion and carrots. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for several minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook for about a minute. Stir in green chiles, corn, creamed corn, chicken, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are cooked and fork tender; about 25-30 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in heavy cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped green onions and fresh parsley, if desired.
- To thicken, if you desire, ladle about 1/2 cup of the broth in a small bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Once completely combined, pour this mixture into the soup. It will thicken in minutes upon standing.
- *Instead of heavy cream and nonfat milk, you could replace with half & half, or use all heavy cream or all nonfat milk, if you choose.
For more delicious soups, try these: