This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup has all the flavors of our favorite enchiladas, no rolling required! Topped with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro, it’s an easy soup recipe to whip up on a busy weeknight.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
As long as I can remember, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas have been one of my favorite things to make, and to enjoy. I shared my recipe a few months back, and it’s been popular here on the blog, too. The casserole is so easy to make, and this soup is even easier!
This is basically that favorite recipe in soup form, except for the addition of some salsa just to help add a little more heat and flavor.
Why you’ll love Chicken Enchilada Soup
- You control the heat – spice it or up or turn it down to make it more family friendly.
- Kids love to customize with their favorite toppings (so do grown-ups!)
- It’s super simple, using basic ingredients and pre-cooked, shredded chicken.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
If you’ve been with us for long enough, you know how much I like easy recipes. Well this one couldn’t be easier.
- It starts with sauteed onions and garlic, then cooked, shredded chicken, chicken broth, salsa, enchilada sauce and green chiles.
- Combine all of that yumminess and simmer it for about 20 minutes and then comes the cheese.
- Cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jack cheese make this enchilada soup rich and creamy. Stir in the cheeses until their good and melted. I recommend using room temperature cream cheese to keep it from cooling the soup.
You can serve this soup just like this, or you could add some cooked white rice, or even a cup of my favorite Mexican Rice. Wow, wouldn’t that be amazing?! Finally top it with some pretty garnishes like sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve it up and watch it disappear!
What to do with leftovers
Store leftover Chicken Enchilada Soup in the fridge, covered, for 4-5 days. Freezing this recipe is not recommend. However, you can freeze the soup in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container before adding the cheese. Reheat in a soup pot on the stove and add cheese once the soup is hot.
For more great soup recipes, try these:
- Instant Pot Homemade Tomato Soup
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Turkey, Kale and Rice Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Skinny Enchilada Turkey Soup
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces fire roasted green chiles
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup salsa
- 10 ounces green chile enchilada sauce
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces cheddar and/or jack cheeses grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2-3 corn tortillas
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Extra shredded cheese
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 4-5 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for 30-45 seconds.
- Add green chiles, chicken, salsa, chicken stock and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until completely melted and combined.
- Cut tortillas into ½ inch strips and place several strips in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over the tortilla strips and serve with optional garnishes (sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro) and a squeeze of lime.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.