This Homemade Tomato Soup recipe is bursting with robust roasted tomatoes and is quickly and easily made in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
Tomato soup is a classic childhood favorite comfort food kind of recipe. I’m sure we all remember our parents or grandparents opening the can of Campbell’s tomato soup and serving it up with a nice grilled cheese sandwich, perfect for dunking.
Well we’re grown-ups now so it’s time to ditch the can and make some delicious Roasted Tomato Soup from scratch!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP IN AN INSTANT POT
The key to getting some really amazing flavor infused into this tomato soup is by roasting the tomatoes first. Just slice them in half and place on on a roasting pan or a baking sheet with sides (so they don’t slide around). Brush them with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast them at a high temperature in the oven to bring out their natural sweetness and remove some of the moisture. Then straight into the instant pot they go.
Saute the onions and garlic in the instant pot (aff) before adding the the broth. I recommend using vegetable broth, otherwise your tomato soup will have a chicken flavor that will overwhelm the tomato.
Cook the soup according to the recipe instructions below. Then it’s time to break out my new favorite kitchen tool – the Immersion blender (aff). If you don’t have one, I highly recommend getting yourself one. It’s great for soups and sauces…and it’s just fun.
Stir in a good amount of fresh chopped basil, and a splash of heavy cream if you wish. This would be the point to taste your soup and add salt or pepper. We like to serve our Homemade Tomato Soup with homemade croutons, but I would never turn down a classic grilled cheese or BLT served on the side.
Is Tomato Soup Good For You?
From scratch soups are a much better alternative to canned because you can adjust the sodium levels (canned soup tends to be quite high in sodium). Homemade Tomato Soup is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, and contains phytonutrients and other essential minerals.
Besides the natural health benefits, soups in general are just feel good comfort food. Their warmth can provide comfort after a long stressful day, and can sooth a sore throat. Soups are definitely a favorite for dinner at out house.
Want Some More Delicious Soup Recipes?
- 42 Comforting Soup Recipes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Turkey Taco Soup
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup
- Bacon and Bean Soup
Instant Pot Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3 pounds field roma tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth (can swap for chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Garnishes Fresh basil, croutons, fresh grate Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Layer tomatoes (cut side up) in a foil or parchment paper lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 45 - 65 minutes.
- Heat pressure cooker to medium high heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button, then adjust button to Sauté More function). Pot should be as hot as it can get (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Sauté onions in 1 tablespoon butter for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in in garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Add in chopped carrots and saute for another minute.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring in about 1/2 cup vegetable broth into the pot. Scrape all the brown bits off bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp jasmine rice, 2 tablespoons fresh basil to the pot. Pour in 2 tablespoons soy sauce and remaining vegetable broth. Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and do a 10 minute Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Blend tomato soup with an immersion hand blender to desired consistency. Taste the soup and season with salt if necessary. If the soup is too acidic, add a few more pinches of sugar to balance the flavor.
- Garnish with fresh basil, homemade croutons and Fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Pressure Cooker Recipes.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.