Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy pressure cooker soup recipe that is loaded with flavor! Made with all the flavors of a classic chicken tortilla soup, this instant pot version comes together faster, with more intense flavor, and is sure to hit the spot when the craving for Tortilla Soup hits!
No Instant Pot? Check out the Classic Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of the most flavorful, easiest soups to make in the Instant Pot.
This soup is a no-fuss recipe made with basic pantry ingredients that comes together quickly to create a hearty and healthy Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. From the richly seasoned tomato broth to the hearty chicken and beans, each spoonful is filled with authentic Mexican flavor.
Not only does this soup deliver on flavor, ease, and affordability, it is able to be modified easily making Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup perfect for serving to those with dietary restrictions and allergies. It is naturally gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free and can easily be made corn-free and low-carb friendly.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Turn your Instant Pot on to Saute and allow to heat up until pressure cooker the panel reads “HOT.”
- Once it’s heated, add oil, onion, and garlic to the pot and saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, add chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot. This is a really important step to prevent a burn warning. Stir in seasonings, beans, corn, and diced fire-roasted tomatoes, then add the chicken, making sure it’s completely submerged.
- Place the lid on pressure cooker and be sure that the vent knob is pointing to sealed. Set to cook on high pressure for 9 minutes of cooking time, then let the pressure release naturally all the way.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer to a cutting board to shred. Return the chicken to the pot and add stir in fresh lime juice.
- Serve your Tortilla Soup with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado, and/or minced cilantro.
Variations and Modifications
The Chicken: You can use both boneless, skinless chicken thighs and chicken breasts and the cook time will remain the same. Chicken breasts will shred easier, while chicken thighs may need to be diced instead of shredded.
Spicy Soup: Add in up to one finely minced jalapeno for a spicy version of Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Gluten Free: Use gluten-free chicken broth for a gluten-free Tortilla Soup.
Paleo/Low Carb: Omit the beans and corn and increase the chicken from 1 pound to 1.5 pounds for a paleo-friendly and low-carb version of chicken tortilla soup.
Seasoning: In place of cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt, feel free to use 2 teaspoons homemade taco seasoning.
- If you are really in a hurry, omit sauteing the onions and garlic. Instead of a minced onion, use 1 teaspoon onion powder. Add the minced garlic directly to the ingredients without sauteing.
- If you do not like garlic, omit!
Storage and Freezer Tips
Chicken Tortilla Soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply let the soup cool completely, then package in 2-4 cup freezer friendly containers and place in freezer. To reheat from frozen, just let the soup thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat for 1 minute on High Pressure in the Instant Pot.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion minced, or 1 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups canned pinto or black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels optional
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Optional toppings: tortilla chips, cilantro, avocado, cheese, sour cream, etc
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute and allow to heat up until pressure cooker reads “HOT.”
- Once heated, add in oil, onion, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Add in stock and scrape up any browned bits on bottom of inner pot. This is a really important step to prevent a burn warning.
- Add in seasonings, beans, corn, and diced tomatoes in inner pot of pressure cooker. Submerge chicken in mixture.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and be sure vent knob is pointed to sealed. Set to cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
- Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally all the way.
- Open Instant Pot and remove chicken. Shred chicken and return to Instant Pot with lime juice and stir together.
- Serve Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado and/or minced cilantro.