This simple Turkey Taco Soup is loaded with ground turkey, beans, and tons of flavor. It’s a quick and easy meal made from pantry ingredients that everyone will love!
Taco Soup with Ground Turkey
Soup has always been a favorite dish of mine, and it’s not just for the winter either. I eat it all year long! Chicken Tortilla Soup, Bacon and Bean Soup and Tortellini Soup are some of my family’s favorites that I make often. Taco Soup is a new favorite that’s been added to the rotation and I love how easy it is!!
I mean, seriously, is there anything better than tacos in soup form? We will take tacos any way we can get them from traditional Ground Beef Tacos to Taco Pizza to Taco Stuffed Peppers. My family also goes crazy for Taco Spaghetti!
What’s in Taco Soup?
One of my favorite things about serving soup for dinner is the simplicity. Turkey Taco Soup is made with ground turkey, and has only a few other ingredients that you’ll probably find in your pantry today.
- 2 cans of beans – I use black beans and kidney beans, but you could use all of 1 kind, or swap for chili beans or pinto beans.
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand. I like one that a little less chunky.
- Canned tomatoes – We prefer petite diced, and sometimes I’ll grab fire roasted.
- Corn – you can used canned, frozen or even fresh (which is so delicious).
- Taco Seasoning – Season your taco soup with a packet of seasoning, or make your own homemade taco seasoning.
- Chicken broth – I always have a ton of broth on hand, because did I mention we love soup?
How to make Turkey Taco Soup
- Start by cooking your ground turkey in a large pot. Once cooked, drain any grease. Turkey has less fat than beef so you may not have much to drain, if any.
- Rinse and drain the beans and corn, but don’t drain the tomatoes, then add them all to the turkey in the pot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat and veggies and stir to cook for a minute or two.
- Simmer taco soup over the lowest heat for about 20-30 minutes, covered, stirring a few times to keep anything from sticking to the bottom.
I love to set up a taco soup bar! I’ll dice up some red onion, cilantro, and avocado and set out sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips. This soup is so flavorful on it’s own but I love the creaminess of sour cream and avocado with a little bit of crunchy chips on top in my bowl.
Top Tips and Variations
This taco soup is a total dinner win! It’s super easy to make and all in one pot for a complete meal that’s ready in around 30 minutes. Here are a few tips and suggestions to help with your taco soup success:
- Feel free to substitute ingredients. If you don’t have the beans that I used, use what you have. Or if you don’t like kidney beans, use pinto beans or more black beans. Taco Soup is totally customizable.
- Make Taco Soup in your Slow Cooker. Cook the ground turkey first, then add it to the pot with all of the other ingredients. Give it a quick stir then set to low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Bring up the heat. If you want a spicier soup, add a can of diced green chiles or a few dashes of hot sauce. You can also adjust the heat with the type of salsa that you use.
- For leftover taco soup: Let your soup cool for at least an hour or up to two hours, then store in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4-6 months.
More Soup That Eats Like a Meal
The best part about soup is that it’s an easy, complete meal. You’ve got protein, veggies and sometimes even a starch like pastor or potatoes all in one pot. Some of our favorite soup meals are Hamburger Soup, Broccoli Cheese Soup and Homemade Chicken Soup. Sometimes I’ll have a loaf of bread or Garlic Bread to serve on the side or maybe a big salad, but often we will just serve soup on it’s own without need anything else!
For a really hearty soup, our Loaded Baked Potato Soup is crazy good!
Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 15 ounce canned corn or 1 1/2 cups of frozen or fresh corn
- 15 ounce canned petite diced tomatoes with the juice
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons homemade
- 14 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, diced red onion, cilantro
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a spatula, until no longer pink. Drain any grease (there shouldn't be very much so you could just leave it as it will add flavor)
- Add corn, beans, salsa and taco seasoning to the meat and stir to coat, then cook for about a minute before adding the chicken broth.
- Bring taco soup to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Optional - Serve with your favorite taco toppings, like sour cream, shredded cheese, diced onions, avocado, tortilla chips and cilantro.
- Nutritional information is approximate and does not include optional toppings.
- Ground turkey can be swapped out for ground beef.
- For even more flavor, add diced onion and minced garlic to the turkey as it cooks.
- This soup is thick, like a chili. Add more broth if you want it thinner.