This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes – a delicious side dish with soft and tender chunks of fresh potatoes in a creamy, cheesy sauce. All made in your slow cooker, freeing up oven space for the rest of your meal!
I love my slow cooker, but have only ever used it for cooking main dishes, with the exception of the occasional slow cooker dessert. I’ve seen other potato dishes in the slow cooker but I’ve always been skeptical because of how long potatoes can take to cook, or of cooking dairy products.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well these cheesy crockpot potatoes turned out! They are super creamy, yet the potatoes hold their shape and stay nice and tender – I am not a fan of mushy potatoes. The cheesy sauce comes together quite nicely, and doesn’t break or curdle like I expected it to.
This recipe makes about 6 cups of cheesy potatoes, but can easily be doubled if you’re feeding a crowd. You just want to be sure to stir halfway through to avoid burning along the sides.
How to Make Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
These Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes could not be easier to make. The most time consuming part if just peeling and dicing the potatoes. I personally like to use fresh potatoes, but you could definitely swap them out for a bag of frozen diced potatoes, or even shredded if you want. The shredded do tend to get a little mushier and not hold their shape as well, but they do still taste good.
Here are a few tips for getting delicious crockpot cheesy potatoes:
- Use fresh potatoes. The frozen potatoes tend to be small cuts, so overcooking them can cause them to lose their shape and become mushy and more like mashed potatoes. Same goes for shredded hash brown potatoes.
- Use fresh cheddar cheese. Please, please don’t buy the bagged shredded cheese. They add a coating to the cheese to help it hold it’s shape in packaging that keeps the cheese from melting properly. And fresh just tastes so much better.
- If you notice a lot of condensation building on the lid of your slow cooker, take a few paper towels and cover the slow cooker with them, then replace the lid to keep them secure. This will catch the water and keep it out of your sauce.
Give these Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes a try the next time you’re craving some real comfort food. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
More Potato Recipes
- Garlic & Herb Butter Baby Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Garlic Potatoes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Potatoes Romanoff
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- 32 ounce bag frozen potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups fresh shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup finely diced white onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh minced chives for garnish
- Combine ingredients in your slow cooker, reserving 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, stirring to coat the potatoes completely. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Stir, then sprinkle on remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh minced chives and serve hot.