Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is light, fresh and full of flavor. Lemon juice and parsley are both bright and vibrant additions and the crumbled feta adds a salty finishing touch.
Zoup! provided me with products for sampling and compensation for my time. As always, any opinions expressed in this post are my own.
BENEFITS OF CHICKEN SOUP
Chicken soup made with Zoup! Good, Really Good® Chicken Broth or Chicken Bone Broth is more than just the comfort food that grandma used to make. You can feel good about feeding this broth to your family – it’s low in calories, fat free, paleo friendly and completely free of hormones, gluten and GMO’s.
Chicken soup is often the “prescription” most people offer when you’re not feeling well. It’s comforting and soothing and sentimental. There are plenty of canned options out there when you need a quick chicken soup fix, but my preferred method is a from scratch chicken soup recipe that you can make at home in under an hour.
My grandma’s chicken soup was almost always accompanied by Matzo Balls, and was always made from scratch. These days, when I make chicken soup, I take a few liberties and play around with different flavors, like this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, or my Italian Chicken Soup variety.
GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE
This recipe is all about quick and easy and uses fresh, simple ingredients. In about 30 minutes you’ve got a warm bowl of zesty Greek Lemon Chicken Soup that will leave your family begging for more. Lucky for you this recipe is easily doubled because leftovers are a must!
- PREP. Melt some olive oil in a large soup pot and saute a small, diced onion. Add in 3 minced garlic cloves and the other spices and seasonings, including lemon zest. Juice the lemons after you’ve zested them.
- COOK. Pour the Zoup! Chicken Broth and lemon juice into the soup pot and add the uncooked chicken breasts. Bring the soup to a boil and let the chicken cook for about 10 minutes or until it’s no longer pink inside. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board to shred into chunks, then back into the broth.
- SIMMER. Simmer the cooked chicken with the broth and some fresh minced parsley. I love parsley in soup for the freshness it adds. Combined with the lemon this soup is so vibrant and refreshing. Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve it up!
HOW TO SERVE
I like to add rice to Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, but that’s optional if you want to keep it grain free. Orzo pasta is another tasty option. For either rice or pasta, cook separately and add to the individual bowls. I don’t recommend cooking in the broth because rice and pasta release starch and will thicken your soup. If you’re planning to serve the whole pot of soup, then go ahead and add the rice in there at the end.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with fresh minced parsley, Feta cheese crumbles, fresh cracked black pepper and lemon wedges. I like to serve with a simple green salad and some fresh homemade Garlic Bread.
ABOUT ZOUP! GOOD, REALLY GOOD® CHICKEN BROTH
Zoup! operates multiple soup-focused restaurants and is now also bringing restaurant-quality broth to supermarkets. You can find Zoup! Good, Really Good® Broth nationwide, and at a grocery store near you, like Sprouts Farmers Markets, Walmart, Wegman’s and Albertsons. For a store near you, check the store locator on their website.
All of Zoup’s broths are cooked in kettles in small batches, for a premium, home-cooked flavor.
Zoup!’s’ Good, Really Good® Broth lineup includes new Certified Organic Veggie Broth, new Certified Organic Chicken Broth, original Chicken Broth, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth, Veggie Broth, and Chicken and Beef Bone Broth.
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced about ¾ cup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 8 cups Zoup! Chicken Broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice or orzo pasta optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Melt olive oil until it shimmers.
- Stir in diced onion. Cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and lemon zest. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice, then add raw chicken breasts. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from the pot and transfer to a cutting board. Shred into chunks (or dice), then return to the pot.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, then stir in fresh parsley. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Place about ¼ cup of rice into each serving bowl, then ladle in the soup. (Alternatively, you could add the rice to the soup pot. However, if you plan to have leftovers, I recommend just adding it to each bowl as the rice will release starch, thickening the soup and making the rice mushy).
- Garnish with Feta cheese crumbles, minced parsley and lemon wedges.