Healthy Turkey Chili is a tasty, low effort meal that’s full of flavor for Football Game Day Celebrations or to have when you have everyone stopping by during the holidays!
Hi everyone! I’m Michele from West Via Midwest and I’m sharing a healthy turkey chili recipe with you today. I don’t know about you, but things can get pretty hectic during the holidays and I seem to eat indulgently starting at Thanksgiving and then non-stop thru the New Year.
I like to have a few healthier options like today’s Healthy Turkey Chili to make when having company over so I can feel guilt free when I’m eating all of the cookies that are around during the holidays like so many of these delicious Festive Christmas cookies.
I call this Healthy Turkey Chili because it’s lower in fat than when I make it with beef because of this ground turkey recipe. But don’t worry— it’s not lacking in flavor at all. In fact most people have no idea that it’s made with turkey so when I’m serving it for company I just say would you like some delicious chili?
How do you make Healthy Turkey Chili?
The most important thing is to maximize the flavor of the meat and spices you use in the chili. You’ll brown the meat with the onions have them caramelized on a low slow heat (pictured here). This lets the meat absorb the onion flavors.
That’s not all that you need to do for this Healthy Turkey Chili. You’ll also want all of the flavors of the spices infused into the turkey so that every spoonful has all of the great flavors in it. Once you have the onions and meat browned you will want to put all of the spices on top of the meat and let them have time to really get into the meat.
After all of the spices have been stirred in you will add the tomatoes and the chicken broth (its ok to substitute vegetable broth if you prefer.) You’ll let the chili simmer for at least an hour and allow the liquids to reduce and all the flavors to really develop. It’s a great meal to let simmer all day on the stove if you have people wanting to eat at different times during the day.
What is the secret ingredient that makes this Healthy Turkey Chili so good?
The last ingredient I add to this chili is a little bit of …… wait for it. Dark Chocolate. It deepens the flavor just a little, pairing beautifully with the chili powder but it also ads a velvety smooth texture to the broth. I promise, it’s really good.
This Healthy Turkey Chili goes well with what ever toppings you like. Guacamole, Cheese, Sour Cream, Cheese, Salsa…. The list is endless. (another great way for your guests on game day to get their chili just the way they like it!)
It also works really well if you have any leftovers as a topping on Sweet Potatoes so make a double batch for these. (like these Sweet Potato Starter Bites pictured here.)
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 Large Onion chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 pounds lean Ground Turkey
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 can Black Beans strained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can Pinto Beans strained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 48 ounces low sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped finely
- Place a large stockpot on the stove at medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions and saute until onions are softened and turning a golden brown color. About 5-7 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 10-12 minutes until turkey is cooked throughout.
- Add all spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and mustard powder) to the pan and sauce for 5 minutes to allow the spices to absorb completely.
- Add the tomatoes with juices, drained and strained beans and chicken broth and stir to mix completely. Lower the heat me medium and continue to cook for 45 mins minimum.
- Add the chopped chopped chocolate right before serving, allowing 5 minutes for the chocolate to melt completely.
- Serve with your favorite toppings - cheese, sour cream, avocado, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, Fritos.... whatever you like!
Here is another delicious chili recipe we love:
And here are a few more yummy chili recipes to try:
Michele believes no matter how busy you are you can make great tasting food that people will rave about. She knows you can make any get together better by serving delicious homemade foods to people you love and create great memories spending time together. She shares time-saving tips and ways to make the ordinary meal more special with simple tricks for success without all the stress at West Via Midwest.