Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is extra cheesy and spicy and goes perfectly with a big bowl of chili, soup or stew!
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe
Homemade Cornbread with Jalapenos and Cheddar Cheese is super moist, fluffy and delicious. This from scratch cornbread recipe is the best with chili, and we;ve got lots of that here on the site. From Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili to Instant Pot Skyline Chili or Healthy Turkey Chili this jalapeno cornbread matches them all.
The cheddar cheese adds a sharp flavor and you can control the amount of heat by adjusting how much jalapeno you add to the batter. Super moist, you won’t need anything to help you wash this cornbread down!
Eat it on it’s own, top it with butter, or do like my husband and crumble it right into your chili!
How to Make Jalapeno Cornbread
- Start by mixing up the dry ingredients – flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Doing this separately helps to make sure the dry ingredients are all well dispersed. In another bowl, beat milk, sour cream, honey, eggs and melted butter together until fluffy.
- With a wooden spoon, gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry. You want to be careful not to overmix or you can end up with a really dense jalapeno cornbread. The best rule of thumb is to stop mixing as soon as you can no longer see any white powder from the dry mixture.
- Likewise, any additional ingredients should be very carefully added, so be gentle as you fold in shredded cheddar cheese, green onions and diced jalapeno.
- Spread the batter into a greased 8-inch square or 10-inch round oven safe skillet or baking dish. Smooth the top out so it bakes evenly and top with more cheese and some sliced jalapeno coins. Let the batter sit and rest for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched.
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
If you’d like to make cornbread muffins instead, fill greased muffins cups about 2/3 of the way full. Top each muffin with a few shreds of cheese and a jalapeno slice. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden.
Of course Jalapeno Cornbread shines next to a bowl of piping hot chili, but it’s a great side dish to serve with a variety of dinner recipes.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Easy Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Arizona Chicken Corn Chowder
- New Brunswick Stew
Freezing Homemade Cornbread
To freeze, wrap jalapeno cornbread tightly with foil and place in a freezer bag. Properly stored, it will maintain best freshness for 2 to 3 months.
Leftover Jalapeno Cornbread can be stored in a plastic bag or airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
More breads to serve on the side:
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cups sharp Cheddar cheese grated, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions (reserve mostly greens for the garnish)
- 2-3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers about 2 medium
- 2 medium sized jalapenos sliced into 9 round coins, seeds removed, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, honey, eggs, and melted butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until moistened. Do not overmix!
- Gently fold in 2 cups of grated Cheddar, green onions and jalapenos. Let the mixture rest on the counter for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave and coat the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch baking dish or a 10-inch oven safe skillet.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheddar and jalapeno slices.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped greens from the onions.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.