This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is the perfect meal to warm you up this fall. Bonus, it cooks in the slow cooker all day, and is ready just when you need it on a busy weeknight.
Soups are my absolute favorite way to warm on cold fall or winter’s night. We don’t get many of them here in Southern California, but when we do, soups are my go-to. There’s nothing like a big heaping bowl of steaming hot soup, with tender vegetables and meat in a savory broth.
Soup recipes transfer really easily from stove-top to slow cooker, too. Need it quick? Cook it on the stove. Planning ahead? Throw the ingredients in your slow cooker. Easy peasy.
Chicken Stew is basically my favorite chicken soup recipe with the pasta swapped out for potatoes and a little cornstarch slurry to thicken it up, making it super rich and hearty. This soup recipe has lots of veggies, and you could change those up, too, based on your personal tastes or what’s in your fridge.
I don’t often use chicken thighs, but I really like them in this chicken stew. Because they have more fat than the super lean chicken breasts, they can stand up to the longer slow cooker time without drying out. The potatoes can take a long time to cook, so this makes thighs the perfect choice. Plus they have a richer flavor and texture for a more luxurious feel.
Slow Cooker Chicken StewPrint Pin Rate
- 4-5 medium-size red potatoes cut into 1-2" chunks
- 3 stalks of celery slices into 1" pieces
- 1 pound bag baby carrots
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes with the juice
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1 14- ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6-8)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Place the vegetables on the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning, bay leaf 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and add the tomato paste. Sprinkle chicken with a little salt and pepper then add to the slow cooker on top of the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- About 15-30 minutes before serving, whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour into the slow cook and gently stir until combined. Cover and turn to low or warm setting until ready to serve.
You might also enjoy these delicious recipes: