Super cheesy and flavorful, this One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta is going to be your new family favorite. Simple to make with just a few ingredients and one pan for easy clean up.
Recently I was invited to sample Manwich sauces in the Regular, Bold, and Thick and Chunky varieties. I challenged myself to think outside the box and create a recipe that my family would love, and Manwich Bold was the perfect base for my recipe creation.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY CHICKEN PASTA WITH MANWICH
One pot meals are the best for busy weeknights, and are made even easier with the kid-stopping power of Manwich. My kids absolutely loved this meal and not only asked for seconds, but asked for it to be put in their lunches the next day, and that’s how I really gauge a winning recipe!
My One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta Recipe is super simple, with just a few ingredients:
- Onion & garlic
- Chicken broth
When I first created this recipe five years ago, I used pre-cooked, shredded chicken. It’s a super easy way to speed up the recipe. However, if you prefer to cook the chicken within the recipe, just start with cubed, raw chicken breasts (about 2 that are medium in size or about a pound total). When you start to cook the onions, add the chicken to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir the chicken a few times, making sure to get it browned (or at least cooked) on all sides. The chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through because it will continue to cook with the pasta.
Boil the chicken and pasta in the manwich and broth for 15-20 minutes and BAM! A complete chicken pasta meal in just 20 minutes!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN PASTA SAUCE?
The beauty of One Pot Chicken Pasta recipes is that the sauce makes itself! The starch in the pasta is released during the cooking process, thickening whatever liquid you’ve include; in this case Manwich sauce and chicken broth. The final step is to add the cheese, which melts into the liquid, thus creating a luscious, creamy sauce!
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH CHEESY CHICKEN PASTA
We love this chicken pasta recipe with a simple green salad on the side. However, you could serve just about any veggie with it, or even add some to the pot when you’re cooking, like carrots, broccoli or peas.
For more Chicken Pasta recipes, try these:
- Creamy Garlic Penne Pasta with Chicken
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Lemon Garlic Chicken and Vegetable Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Alfredo
- One Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
Tools used in my chicken pasta recipes:
Box grater – I love the large handle, and the different grate sizes for all kinds of cheese.
3 1/2 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Pan – A versatile, multi-use pan that is a great addition to your kitchen.
Wooden spatula – This versatile piece is another essential. It’s works great at stirring food in a skillet, and it perfect for scraping up all those little bits of flavor that often get left behind.
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- Olive oil
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken breast or raw, cooked with the onions
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 10- ounce can Manwich Bold + 1 can water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound of small dry pasta I used penne; about 2 cups
- 2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onion sliced (optional, for garnish)
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and saute for one minute, then add cooked chicken (I keep THIS on hand) and saute for a couple of minutes. You could also start with raw chicken and cook it with the onion and garlic. (See notes).
- Stir in chicken broth, Manwich Bold Sloppy Joe Sauce, water and pasta to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring once after about 15 minutes. Check for doneness at 20 minutes and continue to simmer with the lid off if there is still a lot of liquid or if the pasta isn't quite al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheddar until well incorporated, reserving a handful to sprinkle on the top. Cover the pot for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt, and stir.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve immediately.