Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti is a delicious, satisfying baked spaghetti casserole with bacon and peas and a luscious creamy sauce. With simple, fresh ingredients this dish comes together with minimal effort for a hearty batch of good ol’ comfort food.
I love chicken spaghetti and other baked pasta casseroles, like my Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti or Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole. When I get to make a creamy sauce from scratch. I love it even more.
This creamy Chicken Spaghetti recipe has no cream of chicken soup, just fresh, simple pantry ingredients, like my Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Spaghetti Ingredients
The basic ingredients you need to make my Creamy Chicken Spaghetti recipe are:
- Chicken – Try my easy slow cooker shredded chicken or use leftover chicken from a rotisserie or another recipe.
- Spaghetti noodles – Spaghetti is traditional but you can use other types of noodles that you have on hand.
- Bacon – cut into small pieces and fried until crispy
- Peas – frozen or canned. You can omit these it you don’t like them.
- Homemade cream of chicken soup – onion, garlic, flour, chicken broth and milk,
- Sour cream – full fat will give you the creamiest sauce, but if you’re counting calories yo can use a low fat or greek yogurt instead.
- Cheese – Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti
This is a super easy recipe with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. I do make my own creamy base, but if you are short or time or just prefer it, you could use two cans of condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup instead. My son even went back for seconds, and he’s a tough critic. I knew then that I had a real winner on my hands!
My family of five can easily scarf down most of this dish when we’re feeling especially naughty, but on better days it can make about 6-8 servings.
Cook the pasta. You want it to have a little bite to it still because it will continue cooking in the oven.
Make the cream sauce base. Start with a roux, melting butter and cooking onions and garlic in a pan, then adding flour. Whisk it around and it will begin to turn a golden color, then add chicken broth and milk and simmer that until it’s thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir in sour cream, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, spaghetti, chicken, peas and bacon. I usually reserve a little bacon and cheese for topping the spaghetti before it goes into the oven.
Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving to let the sauce set and cool a bit.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- If you have leftover chicken, this is a great way to use it up. If you need to cook some up real quick, you can bake it, poach it, or cook it in the instant pot.
- Variations. I wanted this recipe to be a full meal, so I added peas. But if you’re not a fan you could leave those out and just serve a salad on the side. Or add spinach, kale, broccoli, asparagus or tomatoes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in ght fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave.
Can you freeze chicken spaghetti?
Absolutely! I’ve had great success freezing this dish. If you are planning this as a freezer meal, you could assemble and freeze with the initial backing. It will keep 4-6 months in the freezer.
Cool the dish completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer until ready to eat. To cook, place the frozen meal back into the original pan , thaw in the fridge overnight, and bake as directed.
More Easy Pasta Recipes to Try
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below. Or, tag us on social media @yellowblissroad or #yellowblissroad for a chance to be featured.
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic 2 cloves
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk or any type will work
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti about 2/3 of a package
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- ½ pound of bacon cooked and diced, divided
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnish if desired
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water to just al dente (should still have a good “bite” to it). Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan or skillet, melt butter over medium low heat. Add onions and cook for 1 minute, then add minced garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add flour to the pan, and whisk together to make a roux. Cook until golden; 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and milk, and whisk together to smooth out the lumps. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until the mixture thickens; 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. *If the mixture is too thick, whisk in a little chicken broth or milk to thin it out a little bit.
To the chicken broth mixture, stir in sour cream, 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese and ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Add the cooked spaghetti, chicken, peas and bacon (reserve a small handful of the bacon for topping if desired) to the mixture and toss to combine and coat well.
Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of Mozzarella on top of the spaghetti. Top with remaining bacon.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Garnish with fresh minced parsley.