This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One Pan Meals are quick and easy, and this One Pan Smoked Sausage and Rice Skillet is a delicious one! Full of tender rice, savory smoked sausage and chunks of sweet peppers, this dish is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
Today’s Sausage and Rice recipe is made with rice, smoked turkey sausage and sweet peppers. If you’ve never had sweet peppers, they are small peppers that are sweet and crunchy and go perfectly with hummus, Guacamole or even my spinach artichoke dip.
But today they are being combined with some savory turkey sausage to make up this delicious one pan dish.
My one pan meals are also a great way to get my kids to eat some healthy veggies. It’s hard to escape them when they’re mixed in to something this delicious!
The best part is they are easy to make, and everything is done in one pan for quick clean up!
How to Make One Pan Smoked Sausage and Rice
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Start by heating some oil and sauteing some diced onion and smoked sausage.
- Next add the rice an garlic and stir it up a bit, cooking until the rice just starts to brown.
- Add the liquid and sweet peppers, and bring it to a boil.
- Cover it up and let it cook until all of the liquid is absorbed; about 20 minutes.
It’s got such a great smoky flavor – your whole family will love it!
Serving Suggestions + Variations
With this recipe, you’ve got a complete meal all in one pan and ready in about 30 minutes. It makes 4 servings, but if you want to stretch it a little farther, serve it with a refreshing Creamy German Cucumber Salad or make some delicious Wedge Salads.
Don’t have all the ingredients? Here are a few ingredient variation ideas:
- Sausage: Any kind of link smoked sausage will work, like turkey sausage, polish sausage. Smoked sausage is already cooked so make sure that your substitution is too.
- Rice: I have not tried this with brown rice, but I think if you cook it longer, it will work fine.
- Vegetables: The smoky sausage and the sweetness of the peppers are a great match, but if you want to add more veggies, I suggest broccoli or squash.
More One Pan Meals
- Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Pasta Skillet
- Spicy Lemon Chicken Pasta with Tomatoes
- Tortellini and Smoked Sausage
- One Pan Ham & Cheese Tortellini
- One Pan Mexican Fried Rice
- One Pot Cajun Sausage and Rice
One Pan Smoked Sausage & Rice with Sweet Peppers
- 1/2 pound Smoked Sausage
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced Sweet Peppers
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add sliced sausage and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring often.
- Add rice and stir for several minutes until rice starts to brown.
- Add water, salt and pepper, and sweet peppers and stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook, covered, for 20 minutes. If there is still liquid in the pan, remove lid and cook for a few more minutes, or until liquid is completely absorbed.