These cookies are everything you love about 7-Layer Bars, or Magic Bars, in a neat little cookie. Full of graham crackers, butterscotch, chocolate and coconut, they are a delicious sweet treat.
When a cookie craving hits, it really hits. Chocolate Chip Cookies are usually preferred, but when you’re feeling a little crazy, these Magic Bar Cookies sure do hit the spot. Have you tried Magic Layer Bars? They are basically layers of graham crackers, coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and nuts drizzled on top with sweetened condensed milk. They are pretty amazing, but messy!
That’s these cookies are so perfect, they are easy to hold, and even easier to eat. Just ask me, I ate 5 of them while they were still warm.
I discovered the recipe from Averie Cooks. She has tons of great cookie recipes that I’ve tried, and this is by far my favorite. Which is why I knew I needed to share it with you. They are tender and chewy and just all around delicious.
Magic Bar Cookies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1//4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped graham crackers and crumbs, about 4 full-size cracker sheets
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Toast the coconut on a cookie sheet for several minutes in a 350 degree oven, then set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Stir half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture just until combined, then stir in the other half; again, just until combined.
- Gently fold in the graham crackers, chocolate and butterscotch chips and toasted coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide batter into rounds and place 2" apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. (I use a 1" scoop, but a larger scoop will yield a thicker cookie).
- Chill in the refrigerator for two hours, or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. You want them to be slightly underdone as they will firm up as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
For more amazing cookie recipes, try these:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.