This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These cookies are everything you love about 7-Layer Bars, or Magic Bars, in a neat little cookie. Full of graham crackers, butterscotch, chocolate and coconut, they are a delicious sweet treat.
When a cookie craving hits, it really hits. Chocolate Chip Cookies are usually preferred, but when you’re feeling a little crazy, these Magic Bar Cookies sure do hit the spot. Have you tried Magic Layer Bars? They are basically layers of graham crackers, coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and nuts drizzled on top with sweetened condensed milk. They are pretty amazing, but messy!
That’s these cookies are so perfect, they are easy to hold, and even easier to eat. Just ask me, I ate 5 of them while they were still warm.
I discovered the recipe from Averie Cooks. She has tons of great cookie recipes that I’ve tried, and this is by far my favorite. Which is why I knew I needed to share it with you. They are tender and chewy and just all around delicious.
More Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with M & Ms
- Rice Crispy Cookies with Butterscotch and Chocolate Chips
- Monster Cookie Bars
Magic Bar Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened 1 ½ sticks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1//4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped graham crackers and crumbs about 4 full-size cracker sheets
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Toast the coconut on a cookie sheet for several minutes in a 350 degree oven, then set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Stir half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture just until combined, then stir in the other half; again, just until combined.
- Gently fold in the graham crackers, chocolate and butterscotch chips and toasted coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide batter into rounds and place 2″ apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. (I use a 1″ scoop, but a larger scoop will yield a thicker cookie).
- Chill in the refrigerator for two hours, or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. You want them to be slightly underdone as they will firm up as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Wrong photos for bar cookies (they are awesome, but you need correct photo.) Happy holidays!
Hi Roxi, these are actually the correct photos for this recipe. They are cookies that are based on the magic layer bars.
Keto cookies and bars would be nice . Some with no dairy flower gluten free for some one with crohns
How many should get per batch. I need 100 for our Christmas cookie tray.
Depending on the size of each cookie, about 18-24 cookies.
These look scrumptious can you tell me how many this makes?
It makes an 11×7″ pan. So it depends on the size you cut them. I’d say 12-15 bars.
Thank you 🙂
Actually it says to use a cookie scoop for the Magic Bar Cookies line 7 in the directions so how many cookies do you think, thanks again ~Karen
Oh gosh, I’m sorry! I had just posted a magic layers bar recipe and was confused. It makes about 2 dozen cookies.
Oh. My. Goodness. These are amazing. Magic Cookie Bars are my favorite bar and I rarely make them. These are the perfect cookie substitute. yummy!