This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Meet your new ready-in-minutes favorite: Microwave Mac and Cheese! Perfect for a single serving, this creamy mac and cheese in a mug is a comfort food classic made in a flash. Quick, easy, and oh so cheesy!Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Ready in a flash – This recipe takes under 15 minutes to make.
- Perfect for a single serving – Everything is measured out and portioned perfectly for a single serving that hits the spot every time.
- So creamy and cheesy – With two kinds of cheese, this Microwave Mac and Cheese has all the cheesy flavor you love in a fraction of the time.
How To Make Microwave Mac and Cheese
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Combine the macaroni noodles and 1 cup of water and microwave for 5 minutes.
Strain the noodles and return to the mug, adding the remaining cup of water.
Cook for an additional two minutes, then check for doneness. Continue cooking in one minute intervals until noodles are cooked through.
Strain the noodles again, then stir in cheese, butter, cream cheese, milk, salt, and pepper.
Cook for 1 more minute, stir, and serve!
Macaroni noodles can take about 7-9 minutes to fully cook in the microwave. This can vary depending on the microwave and the pasta type.
The water in the macaroni noodles might boil over if your mug or dish isn’t large or deep enough.
I like to use a little cream cheese to make it extra creamy. You can add additional seasonings (garlic powder, hot sauce, etc.) or add different kinds of cheese (try subbing the mild cheddar for sharp cheddar, American, Gouda, or pepper jack)
Mac and cheese can be stored in the fridge for a few days. To reheat, microwave at 50% power for 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals. If needed, add a little milk to rehydrate.
- Use An Extra Large Mug or Deep Bowl – This recipe requires an extra large mug (minimum 2 cups) – this one is perfect. Or you can use another type of dish, like this 1-quart casserole dish. Whatever dish you choose should be a minimum of 16-20 ounces.
- Water – You’ll notice this recipe specifies to dump out the pasta water and then add more water. This ensures an even amount of water to cook the macaroni, despite any potential water loss (spillover or evaporation) from the first few minutes of cooking.
- Other Pasta Noodles – Small elbow macaroni noodles were tested for this recipe. You can use other small noodles but please note the cooking time may vary considerably.
- Freshly Shredded Cheese – I always prefer freshly shredded cheese as it melts better into sauces, but you can use what you have on hand.
- Seasoned Salt – I really like seasoned salt (like Lawry’s or Johnny’s) for this recipe as it adds extra flavor. If you don’t have seasoned salt, you can use regular salt (along with a tiny pinch of garlic powder and paprika if you like!)
- Milk – You can add more milk if you want to make the sauce super creamy. I liked it with just 1 tablespoon.
- Cream Cheese – This can be omitted if you don’t have any on hand, but I highly recommend keeping it in! It will make your cheese sauce ultra creamy and flavorful.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes to Try Next
- Mac and Cheese Bites
- Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
Microwave Macaroni and Cheese (Single Serving)
- 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 cups water divided
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded cheese I used mild cheddar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In an extra large mug or deep bowl or baking dish, combine the macaroni and 1 cup of water. Cook, uncovered, in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Strain the noodles, and return to the mug with the remaining 1 cup of water.
- Cook for an additional two minutes, then check for doneness. Continue cooking in one minute intervals until noodles are cooked through.
- Strain noodles again, discarding extra water and return the noodles to the mug with the cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon cream cheese, 1 tablespoon milk, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1 more minute then stir until everything is melted and a smooth, creamy sauce coats the noodles. Serve immediately.
- This recipe will make a single, meal-size serving.
- The cream cheese addition helps to make the final dish ultra creamy, but can be omitted if you don’t want to use it.
- Store leftovers for a few days in the fridge. When reheating, use 50% power and microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals. Add a splash of milk to rehydrate if needed.