This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamy stovetop Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is an easy weeknight dinner and a game day favorite. Made with spicy buffalo sauce, tender pasta, chicken and 3 kinds of cheese, this recipe is a sure winner!
Table of Contents
- Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes.
- 3 kinds of cheese for maximum creaminess.
- Easy to customize and control the heat.
- It’s like Buffalo Chicken Dip with noodles!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Boil water and cook macaroni noodles.
- Melt butter and cook flour in a large pot.
- Add milk and cream, bring to a simmer.
- Season and stir in buffalo sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- Stir in pasta and chicken.
- Serve as desired, garnished with sliced green onions and blue cheese crumbles or drizzled with Ranch dressing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the longer it sits, the spicier it will get.
How To Reheat Mac and Cheese
Having leftovers is a wonderful thing, especially when you get a serious comfort food craving late at night. But reheating mac and cheese can be tricky, so I’ve got a couple of tips.
- Low and slow. Whether you are reheating macaroni and cheese on the stovetop or in the microwave, do so on a very low heat setting and take your time. This will allow the cheese sauce to come up to temperature slowly and will prevent the sauce from separating into a greasy, clumpy mess.
- Add liquid. One of the biggest reasons cheese sauce separates during reheating is because it’s dry. Adding a bit of liquid will keep the sauce smooth as it heats. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk, half and half or heavy cream to keep the cheese sauce luscious and creamy. Your Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese will thank you!
- I like using macaroni, but any small cut pasta will work.
- Shred the cheese from a block rather than using pre-shredded cheeses. It will melt and taste much better.
- The heat can easily be adjusted based on your flavor preferences. If you are concerned it may be too hot, add less in the beginning and add more as desired.
- This dish is best served immediately. To prepare an hour or two in advance, keep warm in a slow cooker and omit any garnishes.
- For extra flair, garnish with panko breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- For a meatless option, omit the chicken for a delicious buffalo mac and cheese.
Try These Mac and Cheese Recipes Next
- Hamburger Mac and Cheese (Homemade Hamburger Helper)
- Spaghetti Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- Crab Mac and Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces Elbow Macaroni about 2 ½ cups dry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce more or less depending on taste
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken breast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Blue cheese or Ranch Dressing for topping.
- Optional: Blue cheese crumbles, Sliced green onions for garnish.
- Cook macaroni to al dente, according to package directions. Drain in a large colendar and set aside.
- Place the empty pot back on the stove over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour and cook for several minutes, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Pour milk and cream into the flour mixture a little at a time, whisking to incorporate with each addition. This ensures that the sauce will stay thick. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for several minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the buffalo sauce, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, adding more or less to taste.
- Stir in the cream cheese until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add Mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, a little at a time, stirring continuoulsy with each addition until fully melted and incorporated.
- Add the cooked macaroni and shredded chicken, gently stirring into the cheese sauce until fully incorporated. Serve out of the saucepan or pour ito a 2 quart serving dish.
- Garnish and Serve: Lightly drizzle with ranch dressing and more buffalo sauce, and garnish with blue cheese crumbles and sliced green onions.
- To Bake (Optional) – Skip the garnish and pour into a 2-quart baking dish and add toppings like more shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, bacon or Panko breadcrumbs. Bake at 350℉ uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.