Impress your game day party guests with this incredible Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip! With three kinds of cheese, spicy buffalo wing sauce and tons of chicken this appetizer recipe is a real game changer!
Creamy, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
It’s no secret around here that I’m a sucker for snack-type foods; and buffalo and blue cheese just happen to favorite flavor combo for said snack foods. I am a self-proclaimed wimp when it comes to spicy food, but for some reason the buffalo gets me every time. Take my Crispy Baked Chicken Wings. Smothered in hot wing sauce they are my absolute favorite snack!
When I was tossing ideas out for this Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip (let’s face it, I’m not the first to create one) I was trying to come up with ways to make it different. It finally came to me in the form of late night nachos at a boutique hotel in Salt Lake City. On their menu, they had nachos topped with blue cheese and mozzarella cheese. That melted blue cheese was so incredible, I ordered them twice during my three night stay! They were THAT good!
What do you put in Buffalo Chicken Dip?
This dip pays a little homage to that delectable midnight snack with lots of Mozzarella cheese mixed in with the cream cheese and sour cream, and a couple handfuls of blue cheese melted right on top. Of course some fresh blue cheese piled on top was a necessary addition, but that melty mozzarella and blue cheese combo in their with the buffalo chicken? Heaven.
My Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip is spicy, creamy, and packs a real flavor punch. The Buffalo Sauce that I used was actually Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce. I used 3/4 cup to get enough of the spice for my taste, but you could use the original sauce for even more heat (I would only use 1/2 cup though).
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- First you’ll need to create the saue, which is the binder for this dip. With an electric mixer, beat together softened cream cheese, sour cream, Ranch dip mix and buffalo sauce. Then stir in the chicken and some Mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the dip into a medium casserole dish. Mine was 11×7-inch but an 8×8-inch square or even a round would work as well.
- Cover the top of the dip with more Mozzarella cheese and some blue cheese. If you are not a blue cheese fan, you won’t ruin this dish by leaving it out. However it does mean that we can no longer be friends.
- Bake your Buffalo Chicken Dip in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it’s being to brown on top and the dip is nice and bubbly. If you want the cheese to brown, you can flip on the broiler for a few minutes.
- Serve with crisp tortilla chips and garnish with fresh crumbled blue cheese and sliced green onions.
Tips for making the best Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Soften your cream cheese. You want it to be an easily spreadable consistency, so take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes.
- The chicken. This recipe calls for using shredded chicken. If you don’t already have some in your freezer, save time by shredding up a whole rotisserie chicken. Or you can cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker or instant pot, or boil and shred. You could even make your buffalo chicken dip with canned chicken to save even more time.
- Control the heat level. My recipe isn’t too spicy, so my daughter loves it. For more kick, you can add up to a whole bottle of hot sauce to your dip, depending on your desired heat level.
- Can I make this dip in the slow cooker? Yes, you can! Check out my recipe for Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip for the easy instructions.
- Can I make this dip ahead of time? You can definitely prep this dip up to a day ahead. I would wait to add the blue cheese until right before it goes into the oven, because it is pretty fragrant. Make sure to cover the prepped dip tightly with foil and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to bake. Remove from the fridge while the oven preheats.
- Not a Ranch fan? Leave it out and add fresh blue cheese (not the dressing) instead.
More Fun and Tasty Dips to Try
- Cheesy Hot Corn Dip
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Bean Dip
- Chicken & Bacon Artichoke Dip
- Wedge Salad Dip
- Cheesy Baked Shrimp Dip
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 8- ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ranch dip mix
- 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese optional, for topping
- 1 sliced green onion for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl and with an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, Ranch mix and buffalo sauce until light and smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese and all of the chicken.
- Pour into a medium-sized baking dish. Top with ½ cup blue cheese crumbles. For the golden brown top, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
- Flip on the broiler and broil until cheese is golden and bubbly; about 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles and some sliced green onions. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.