This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Buffalo Chicken Dip is dressed to impress with three kinds of cheese, spicy hot wing sauce, and tender shredded chicken. A great appetizer for any occasion, this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is incredibly creamy and addictive.
This Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is so creamy and cheesy with just the right amount of heat. It’s got 3 kinds of cheese – cream cheese, Mozzarella, and blue cheese – for an incredibly tasty dip that packs a punch.
What do you eat with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Serve with crispy tortilla chips, rustic hunks of bread, or even veggies! Carrot and celery sticks are a great option. I love how versatile this dip is!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
- Shredded Chicken – Save time and pull chicken off a grocery store rotisserie chicken, or use one of my recipes for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Sour Cream – Combines with the ranch dip mix for a creamy element.
- Ranch Dip Mix
- Cream Cheese – Use the full fat brick style, not the spreadable cheese in a tub.
- Mozzarella Cheese – A great cheese for dips because it’s smooth and creamy, mild in flavor and melts really well.
- Blue Cheese – Blue cheese adds a creaminess and tang to the dip that helps cool the heat. However, it is optional, so if you aren’t a fan you can leave it out.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce – Use your favorite, like Frank’s Red Hot.
Step by Step Instructions
Make the dip. With an electric mixer, beat together softened cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dip mix, and buffalo sauce. Then stir in the chicken and some Mozzarella cheese.
Bake. Pour the dip into a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle more shredded Mozzarella and blue cheeses over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the dip is hot and bubbly. If you want the cheese more brown you can broil it for a few minutes.
Serve with crisp tortilla chips and garnish with fresh crumbled blue cheese and sliced green onions.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Soften your cream cheese. You want it to be an easily spreadable consistency, so take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes.
- The chicken. Save time by using a rotisserie chicken or canned shredded chicken.
- Control the heat level. For more kick, you can add up to a whole bottle of hot sauce. For less heat, use half the amount.
- Blue cheese: If you don’t like blue cheese, you can leave it out and just use more Mozzarella.
- Storage: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave and give it a good stir before enjoying.
- Make Ahead: Prep the dip ahead of time and pour into a casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake, up to a day in advance. Let it sit on the counter while your oven preheats to bring it to room temperature.
- Slow Cooker: Mix all of the ingredients except the cheese topping into a crockpot and cook on low for a couple of hours until everything is melted and creamy.
More Tasty Dips to Try
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ranch dip mix
- 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese plud more for garnish
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese optional, for topping
- 1 sliced green onion for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl and with an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, Ranch mix and buffalo sauce until light and smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese and all of the chicken.
- Pour into a medium-sized baking dish. Top with ½ cup blue cheese crumbles. For the golden brown top, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
- Flip on the broiler and broil until cheese is golden and bubbly; about 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles and some sliced green onions. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.